How can I tactfully explain to other people that I am a recovering addict?

I was in rehab for 25 days, and people are curious to where I was. How do I tell them where I was without making myself look "bad"? And should I really even care, especially since I know that I am bettering myself?

Deelizabeth

Asked by Deelizabeth at 9:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Health

• It's none of their business unless you want them to know. Good luck on your recovery!
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If you don't mind them knowing about your recovery, just explain that you were receiving professional care for some dependency issues you were having and that you're working on starting fresh.

If you don't want them to know, just say that you took some personal time to sort some things out in your life.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It is none of their business where you have been for the last 25 days. You can tell them that you were taking care of yourself. That you away and leave it like that. If you do feel you have to say something, you say that you were in rehab trying to get your life together and you ask that they leave it at that.

Congrats and good luck on your journey.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't tell them unless you think they should know. I have a colorful history and I usually don't mind sharing it with others but there are some people it would really be bad for them to know. (some judgmental in-laws mainly) It can make you feel better to be somewhat open about it though. Just do what's best for you and your state of mind! :)
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• for the casual acquaintances "Taking care of some medical issues but Im fine now, thank you for asking"

for the closer friends "I was having an issue with X and needed some help.  Im happy to say Im better now and back to being me.  Thank you for asking"

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 9:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• to a non-addict who's dealt with several addicts, i'd tell you to not care. but at the same time, i realize the stigma that follows you, and its like a little black cloud. what you need to overcome is that little black cloud IS there..but you have the power to keep it at bay (recovery!). my dh is a clean-addict(over 14yrs), but he still isn't as open about his addiction as you'd think you might be. he's selective about who knows what..maybe you need to be selective. you don't have to tell everyone the truth if you don't want to. i'm not saying to lie about it, but if they ask where you've been, just tell them you were away, to clear your head. and change the subject.
    if you feel they need to know, then tell them. but also let them know recovery is an on-going process. no one is ever fully recovered. its a lifestyle. perhaps once your close friends know this, the better they can assist you in your endeavor to stay clean. GL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:29 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You could explain it any way you want to the people you dont mind knowing.. Those closest to you im guessing knew something was going on & will be glad you took care of it! :) If they care for you they will be happy for you..
    If there are people you dont want to know just say something like "oh i was lost & had to go find myself" .. "oh just got away for a bit, had some things to take care of"
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't care, because I went there to get better. An addiction is a disease, and unless you are blind to it, which obviously you are NOT, you have no reason to be ashamed! Good for you for getting the help you needed.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:20 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would tell them that you were caring for a sick relative. NONE of their business. GL!!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If it is you'r family I think they should know. I think if it a friend you should trust them if you tell them. Y ou need to work on yoursef. and make baby steps to get better. I can ubderstand. I t just a day at a time as a say. I wish you luck.
    Sw_Dolphin

Answer by Sw_Dolphin at 11:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2011