Do you avoid the debates on CM?

Do you avoid the debates on CM?

Why?

Why not?

I enjoy looking through the new and old questions.

I noticed a lot of name calling instead of debates.

They start off as good debates and end up in an insult fest.

Who taught them that this is appropriate debate?

One or two answers by one person pop up and look out for the claws.

I have never participated in the debates on CM.

Reading is fine.

When the insults and name calling begins I lose any respect I had.

I leave the question.

I am all for a good debate.

Name calling and insulting is not a debate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in About CafeMom

• ooooo
    they do not
    like when people
    point it out
    good thing your post
    can not be
    voted down
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Because some of us are intelligently debating, while others are being rude and catty and starting up a popularity contest. Some people really can't handle their thought processes being challenged in any way..
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I love reading the debates! They sometimes reinforce what I believe and they sometimes give me a fresh perspective on certain topics. I have to be honest, it cracks me up to see what some folks write. Even the name calling can be entertaining. I don't like drama in my life, but it sure makes me giggle to see how silly some people can be.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• AMEN!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• it depends on the debate. and i agree with you. there are quite a few people who do not know how to get into an intellectual debate or offer an opinion on a matter without getting in their feelings. or even taking an opinion without getting overly defensive.

-__- esp on those questions where they ask what you think and hate you for it. all i can think is... "hey, you asked."
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 9:41 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I am dabbling in the debate section because I'm trying to build my courage to join in. I'm impressed as to the amount of knowledge many of the ladies in those sections have. They have data, dates, names, outcomes, etc. and will quote them without hesitation and at a moments notice. Of course there is name calling and insults and rude comments BUT I find that in all sections of Answers. As an example-yesterday I posted a question in the JUST FOR FUN category, it was really JUST FOR FUN, and one of the responses said "you are just stupid". Rude-Yes, Name Calling-Yes, Insulting-Yes but that won't keep me from doing it again. I like Answers.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i agree whole heartedly!!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't get into the debates but I do like to read them. I tend to get frustrated when people are mean just because you post something so I just stay away.
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• That's actually where I focus most of my attention. When I first joined CM, I spent all of my time in Religion and Beliefs (this was before there were debate sections), and gradually moved over into Politics. Now the first place I head is P&CE, then Religion, then on to "tamer" sections. I don't answer in Religion as much as I used to - only if I find a question I find really interesting.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• they go after a couple
    people in particular
    just because of the screen names
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Apr. 6, 2011