My mom didn't like the girl name we choose. We don't even know what we are having? I told her its not her decision. What should I do?

spagirl0426

Asked by spagirl0426 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Baby Names

• Use the name anyway, if you like it and you're having a girl, unless it bothers you that your mom disagrees.

Then, don't discuss baby names with her or anyone else in your real life from here on out. There's always going to be a friend or relative who doesn't like it, and if it's going to dissuade you from using the name, then don't even bother asking their opinions.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Tell her to kiss it. LOL she had her turn! :)
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:29 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Its your child, you name your child. I wouldn't discuss names with her anymore, just tell her its going to be a surprise.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Being a mom means that you have to buck up and act the adult.
    Who cares if she doesnt like it... it isnt her child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yeah I think I will not discuss baby names with family. I'll just wait until our baby is born and tell them the name.
    spagirl0426

Comment by spagirl0426 (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Name your child what you want. It's not grandma's choice it's yours.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:32 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You already told her what was needed to say....that it isn't her decision. That's all you needed to say.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:35 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Nobody liked the name i picked for my DD which is Tulsi. It's a Hindu word & i love, love, LOVE the name. So, i really don't care of anyone's opinion on the matter. The joy of it all is that it's YOUR baby! And you can name it anything you want to.

Just an FYI, everybody loves her name now. I get lots of compliments on it & family has gotten used to it, just like yours will. Everybody seems to want to pick names for YOUR baby. Just ignore them.....they'll learn to like the name you picked for her, trust me.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:35 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Everyone has different tastes, likes and dislikes. She's entitled to her opinion, but that doesn't mean that she needs to express it to you. She should be supportive. Besides, no matter what you name your baby, I'm sure she'll love him/her no matter what the name is. :) We named our daughter Peyton Sophia. My mom loves the name Sophia so she always calls my dd by her middle name. Congrats!!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 9:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It is your child so you name her what you want to name her. You can't make everybody happy.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011