I really need help! My son is almost 3 and a half and still not potty trained all the way. I have tried just about everything and he just doesnt seem to care or want to. PLEASE give me some pointers to help me out! It would greatly be appreciated

I have tried cherios, treats, positive things, including getting SOOOO excited its like a party, taking him to his favorite Chicken Nugget restaurant, i have tried taking away his favortie toys for the day and nothing seems to help. i have even gone as far as keeping him outta preschool for a day (which he LOVES). Im lost i dont know what to do.... pppppllllleeeeaaaasssseeeee help me. im desperate

sexybutterfly49

Asked by sexybutterfly49 at 1:18 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my grandson is 4 and we are still struggling w/ the potty. Some days he gets it and some he doesn't. It frustrates me to no end. My own boys were trained by 3. I know why he is delayed and it has to do w/ history with his bio parents. I can't change that. He will get it, it just has to be on his terms. Only use positive reinforcement. I basically don't talk to him much when he has an accident. No high fives, no yeah. When he does go I make a BIG deal about it. Lots of high fives, big boy things like that. Boys are generally harder. Be patient and good luck!
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I had the same problem with two of my 3 boys. The on;y thing that worked was taking them to the store. letting them pick out thier very own "big boy undies" they got to wear those, but as soon as they didn't use the potty they got taken away until they did use the potty. Just be patient and loving. He will get there.
    purple_girl777

Answer by purple_girl777 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My three-year-old is now only STARTING to potty train. I believe, though, that has to do with the major life changes we've gone through over the past 2 years. I'm sick of changing diapers (I've also got a 22 month old), but have decided to not force it. I already tried that approach, and it failed miserably and the only thing that came of it was my own frustration. When he wants to do it, he'll go.
    smiley_netta

Answer by smiley_netta at 4:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Boys actually take longer than girls to potty train. Boys have a nerve in their lower spine that must develop fully in order to send the right signals that they have to go. It will develop soon enough, but until then, try to be patient- it may not totally be his fault that he's missing the potty!
    DarcyMavis

Answer by DarcyMavis at 4:22 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Relax. It will happen. My kids, we woudl read books like MY POTTY BOOK. It wasn't the book, it was just time spent together and not hurrying it along.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 AM on Jul. 10, 2008