Does your child have ADD?

Having major issues with my son at school. He does exceptionally well grade wise, with mostly A's and a few B's. But the teacher just recently brought it to our attention that my son is unfocused, daydreams and seems easily distracted.
My question why is she just noticing this now? And don't most kids with ADD struggle in school grade wise? Also, what is the treatment for ADD if we are against medicating?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. If you have experience with a child with ADD please let me know what I should be doing or asking. Thank you

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 10:05 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son is in the six grade now and gets good grades with adhd. I had him evaluated in second grade so that he would be given an i.e.p and I wouldn't have teachers trying to leave him back just because he was easily distracted and had to move all the time. He would sharpen his pencil or go to the bathroom about a million times a day. They said he would not pass the test because his distractions wouldn't allow him to learn. LOL my son would pass them all and they couldn't understand how. I chose to get him therapy and do a check in check out system in school. That helped with behavioral issues and the I e p( individual educational plan) helped with the school work... Good luck!
    lovelylady1982

Answer by lovelylady1982 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• They eliminated ADD as a diagnosis. It's now ADHD and DD was diagnosed almost 10 years ago. We used parenting techniques until she was 9, then added to meds. Barkley's Taking Charge of ADHD I found to be full of great suggestions on parenting techniques to use. (DD still had issues - even with meds. They just made them easier to deal with.)

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Also, DD never got bad grades. When she started meds, we found out she was gifted. She hates being bored. (Some kids with ADHD can multitask. DD does it all the time in class.) She doesn't have good eye-contact. Sometimes, she looks distracted but is paying close attention.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• thats not nessesarily true my son has ADHD and is on the honor roll. the grades part really doesnt matter. But before you jump the gun on wether or not to get him tested maybe he is bored and not being challenged in school? that could be why he is daydreaming and unfocused maybe it is just to easy for him and so he needs something more?
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:15 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have ADD and in high school I had good grades when i knew how to apply myself. If the teacher was not holding my attention then i would drift off. ADD is about not be able to pay attention and your thoughts are constantly changing from one thing to the next. The teacher needed to keep me interested enough so my thoughts would not wander. Also ADD means disorganized and nothing gets done and no reason as to why, it just doesn't. ADHD has mood swings and hyper activity where ADD does not have those 2
    Also a good idea is have a kid in the front row away from windows and I swear teachers should not have anything on their walls because it's distracting, lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My son has ADD. He had terrible grades. The fact that your son has good grades makes me think that maybe it's something else. My son was also disruptive in class. Maybe your son is bored with the school work?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:07 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't know if this was adhd but my youngest was smart.and learned quickly.and then would look for other things to do in the classroom.And most of the time it was the wrong thing.He wasn't bad, he was just bored.Maybe your son is the same.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My kids are very young but my sister's daughter has add.. she also gets very good grades but the teacher says the same thing... She bought some books and started her on a diet. Clearly not a losing weight diet!! But she eats all organic food, and there truly has been a difference. I have seen it, teachers have seen it, other people in my family have noticed. She can carry a conversation better now. That may not be the way to go for you but there are books out there that offer other suggestions other than meds! Hope this helps.
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 7:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011