Do you fast food? if not how do you explain it to your kids?

i'm brutally honest with my boys about why i refuse to support mcdonalds, and how what they serve is not real food. but my inlaws still take them making it a bit difficult. everything my kids say about what i've told them gets some silly little twist of truth from my inlaws. ugh. but i know it's a touchy subject since so many moms think it's alright to eat and spend money at these places and i;ve been told i'm making them "miss a part of childhood" (eye roll)

juliness

Asked by juliness at 10:11 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• i also have issues with the fast food so you are not alone i come from a family of ten siblings so we never got to go those places as a kid anyhoo and now i see why!! overpriced and not very nutritional now i will say on a rare occasion i will let my kids eat there but they are not getting the fries and that crap they get the apple dippers and the juice. And to be honest they prefer it anyway. i agree that this is not real food it is completely proccessed and comes from a box that has been frozen and sitting in their back freezer for god knows how long!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:24 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It's not balanced unless you get the apples and milk with the Happy Meal. We do go about once every 4 - 6 weeks. Everything in moderation.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:17 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think its awesome that your doing that for your kids. I think it shows you really care for their health and want them to live long healthy lifes. ^5.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:29 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• We just don't go. A place like McDonalds or BK is just not on our radar. The kids never really question it. When they do on occasion (so and so asked if I can go with them) I tell them that the food is not kosher and there are few if any true veggie options aside from a shake (last I checked, which was a while ago their fries have beef tallow as an additive.)

We do eat at a fast food Japanese place but it is a fairly healthy option. And we do go to Chipotle a couple of times a month. But those places have food that has little in additives and I don't have to worry about the veggie options not being truly vegetarian.

If you just say tell them that the food isn't what you want them to be eating, but an occasional treat with grandma/pa is ok, then it won't be a big deal. Make them home made chicken nuggets often and they won't touch the processed McD's stuff again.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:32 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Personally I don't have an issue with McDucks or any of the fast food resturants, it's not big deal as we eat it so seldom. But all you can do is to make sure your children know your beliefs. Best of luck!!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• to avoid this, i usually pack food for my kids before staying with gparents for the day (keeps them from having to drive anywhere or spend money-my mom usually likes to cook anyway). but i understand. my dh's family owns a bunch of them. i hate "food" from there. and he knows this so he doesn't push it. (although, from what i've seen their fruit smoothies should be ok. i could be wrong). but as far as this is concerned, and how much is actually bothers you, they're your kids. i personally don't believe eating there once in a.... few months couldn't result in any long term damage. but i understand where you're coming from. and i hate it when mom in law feeds my daughter things i wouldn't want her to eat. "missing a part of childhood" can be a good thing if that part you're trying to avoid is obesity or heart attack.... i'm gonna be honest here and tell you i don't feel like i gave a "real" answer. sorry. =\
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 10:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• as a side note. i don't mind getting a smoothie and some fries. their nuggets are pretty good. but i wouldn't go to mcdonalds as my single sustaining source of food like my dh used to. it's fast food. food on the go. as long as it's not a daily thing i don't thing its a big deal.... also just my opinion.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 10:23 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Well since my dd is the manager of McDonalds we go there often. I see nothing wrong with it since they do have healthy alternatives to french fries and they have milk if you dont want soda. I honestly dont know anyone who does not ever take their children out to eat. Eating at ANY restaurant is just as bad. I worked at a sit down restaurant as a waitress and can tell you their food can be just as bad, if not worse.
    If you choose not to take yours, then thats your choice. But you really should not act like just because someone chooses to eat out and get their kids happy meals they are in any way inferior to you or your choices.

Answer by gemgem at 10:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Wow!!!! Someone is bitter!!!! Y do u think that McDonalds is not real food? U can message me,this is going to be interesting.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:14 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't do McDonalds often because it is expensive and my kids know that. You do go out to a pizza buffet about 2x a month because it gives me a break and it is fun. I don't see an issue with fast food unless it is everyday.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2011