Tupac for a new babys name????

I am highly upset with my (19 yr old) daughters choice to name her new baby Tupac. There is a lot of stigma attached to that name. Personally I feel she is doing it hoping it will grow up to be "gang affiliated". I dont see much chance for success with a name like that. All his superiors will know who that is and may be more judgmental towards him academically and in the future hiring for employment. I see it as an extreme name as this child will have a very tough time living up to the name as well as being a possible target for rivals. I am just worried about that kids future and want the best for him. My daughter may not think much of herself and has taken a very dark road in life but I dont want to see her drag him with her. So my question is, am I over reacting? Should I encourage her to change his name now before its too late??

More info: Yes she HAD the baby March 22, 2011 and thats the name on his birth certificate, but from my understanding she has 30 days to change that if she is not happy with her choice.

subbypuppy

Asked by subbypuppy at 10:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Baby Names

• I agree with you! I would totally try to convince her to change the name. Sounds like she's in need of attention.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Oh boy.. I loved the guy but really? lol Maybe just try being subtle, and talk about different names, don't act like you hate it cause she will name him that just to piss you off..lol I know this! lol Just talk to her, and if she does do it anyway, by the time he is old enough Tupac will be a faded memory..
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Her child, her choice. But FYI, Tupac Amaru was the last leader of the Incas in Peru. Really strong and desirable name in South America.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would but that's just me.................I think u are right
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 10:19 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Wow, really? Why would anyone name their kid that? I would strongly suggest changing it.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I do not think you are over reacting one bit. She is a troubled teen and this name has that written all over it, I understand. The problem is that the more you push, the more she might push back. I am not entirely sure what I would do in this situation besides talking to her about it and explaining it so maybe she can understand and see the light of day. Hopefully she is not due soon and in time she will grow tired of this name. Is she in counseling because that might help too.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Tupac is a nice name.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Malcolm X was a controversial person, but there are many men named Malcolm that are not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would have accepted Malcolm... Tupac is a distinctive name in our culture with a lot of reputation good and bad. Its the bad part I am concerned with and her intentions for it. Thank you all for your input.
    subbypuppy

Comment by subbypuppy (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• @spottedpony.... no she is not in counseling. She is already on probation for shoplifting. She was supposed to attend counseling but went a cpl times and blew that off. She does that a lot with everything, school, appointments, etc. Thats why her original time for probation was for 6 months but now it turned into 2 yrs. The judge kept adding on to it because she dont follow thru on things. I am worried that she will be the same way for her kid. Oh geeze. Her life is a mess and she dont listen to anyone. She purposely was trying to get pregnant and succeeded now she has more problems for herself. She cant even take care of herself let alone a baby. I cant take the baby as my health is not stable enough for another infant thats why I dont have anymore kids of my own. I know my physical limitations. I would like to see the baby go to a stable home if in time CPS determines she is unfit.
    subbypuppy

Comment by subbypuppy (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Apr. 6, 2011