Reading starts in Kindergarten?

Does reading start in K now?...
What about math? Are they doing simple math on worksheets now in K?!
Im 27yo. When i was in K we learned about the alphabet (like a letter a week or something like that).. We didnt start learning to read until 1st grade.
K was just there to get kids use to going to class. Alot of Reading from the teacher. Play time. Crafts. Learning about simple weather, seasons. Learning to write your name..

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:17 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Actually it depends. Some districts are teaching reading and basic math as part of kindergarten. Others still view those as core 1st grade curriculum components.

In my school district, kindergarten moves quickly through letter recognition as most students have some exposure to it before starting. They begin to work on letter sounds about a 1/3 of the way into the year. They are not, however, expected to be able to read independently until the middle or end of 1st grade. Some kids are reading in K, but most in our district do not begin to really read on their own until they are into the 1st grade school year. Same with basic addition and subtraction. They begin to touch on it in K but really, it's still a core 1st grade component. K math is focused on skip counting, grouping/sorting, graphs, etc. First grade they do addition/subtraction, pre-algebraic equations (fill in the missing number), introduce fractions, etc. . .
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:43 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• yes they are learning to read and do math equations and even learning to tell time i can't believe how much homework my daughter has in kindergarden it's ridiculous she spends more time on my homework than my second and third grader does!!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:20 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It has been my experience that in our area, the things you mentioned now take place in preschool and some reading and site words take place in K
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yep, they have to be reading by the end of the year. Math is very basic. There is very little play time and craft time now. My son is in kindergarten this year and is reading very well. He has to do a lot more than my daughter had to do 2 years ago. It gets more and more demanding every year.

They need to already know how to write their names going into kindergarten too. They still work on writing their letters, but it's more perfecting the writing, than it is 'learning' how to do it.

Currently my son's kindergarten class is writing stories. Yes....stories. They don't have to spell everything correctly, but they do have to write it how it sounds to them. Full sentences, with a beginning, middle, and an end.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My twins are in 1st grade and started reading in pre-school. Not fluently, but they did recognise words like their name. My sons love doing math. Again, they did counting in pre-school. In 1st grade, they are introducing algebra (6+?=10) as well as some multiplication. One of my sons refused to write until he started kindergarten, now he's behind in penmanship.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My dds in Kinder and they were taught ABC's and numbers in Pre-K and expected to know them by the time Kinder started for the most part. Were more than half through the school year and she can read simple books with her site words and what not. So yes, reading is started in Kinder and by the end of the year they should be in 1st gr books.
    Math they do simple things math wise. Mine can add, and do some subtracting, but knows her number to 100.

Answer by gemgem at 10:24 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• my son is in kindergarten and he is expected to read, count to 100 an do math an so on, i have actually taught him all this before going to school.. he never went to preschool.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:29 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes, actually in pre-k they learn sight words, and ABC's. Reading basic books with sight words.

In K-My son learned math-adding, subtraction of course with objects, reading, it is a whole new world. He is now in first grade and reading every night, math every night-measuring, adding, subtraction, S. S. 2 x a week. It is like overwhelming. Spelling words with spelling sentences.

Go to the library now and get him going they can help you.... He can do it, and will love looking at bugs, cars what ever he is interested in.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My older kids did not learn to read until the 1st grade but now the standards have changed and now my youngest is in kindergarten and he is reading and even doing math and graphs things I didn't do until the second grade.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Oh, yes. Grade level expectations are far above what they once were. Geometry is now a 6th grade subject.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:13 AM on Apr. 6, 2011