How to tell if a 6 year old has pneumonia?

she has an app. today, but I was reading online trying to figure out what is wrong with my dd and it is making me wonder if she has pneumonia. Well last month she missed 5 days straight of school she was throwing up 2 days then had a cough and had a fever for 5 days and then an earache. Her temp was around 101-102 range. The dr (she couldn't see hers she wasn't available) said that she had a little redness in her ear, but not enough for antibiotics, but after 2 days of crying I called them back and they gave her amoxicilion I think. Well she was still coughing though, but then she missed school Monday this week with a 100.3 fever went yesterday but now her ear started hurting again lastnight has a fever of 99 today I was going to check it again, but she is sleeping. Her cough seems worse than last month. She has been complaining that her head hurts and her back hurts and monday she said her leg and arm hurt, but I thought that was the way she slept. She does have an app. later this evening. She was crying this morning with her ear hurting this morning.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• It almost sounds like the flu. The best way to check for pnemonia is to listen to their lungs. If you hear a "crinkling paper" sound in their lungs, thats usually pnemonia. Poor little pumpkin. Do you have any garlic or sweet oil??? If those are warmed up a bit, they can really help with an earache. Also laying on a heating pad can help as well. I really hope she feels better soon!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:29 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Oh and you would hear the crinkling sound in her back, not her upper chest. Noises comming from the upper chest is the bronchials, not the lungs
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• no carlic or sweet oil. It can be the flu for a month straight??? She will be fine then she doesn't feel good again other than the cough. She also had the flu shot.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• When my daughter was ill, the pedi sent her to get a chest xray to determine if she had pneumonia.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:35 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• The flu shot can help, and yes it can last that long, especially if not fully recovered. It could be many things going on, she could just be catching virus after virus as well.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:37 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• She may have bronchitis. Mines lasted for about 3 weeks now. She may have had an upper respiratory infection that's turned into bronchitis. If you're concerned about it being pneumonia, then suggest they do an x-ray when she's at the Dr. That's really the best way to know for sure. Hope she's feeling better soon.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Vomiting isn't associated with pneumonia. The only real way to determine whether it's pneumonia is to have a chest x-ray. Hope she gets a solid diagnosis and treatment so she gets well soon!!
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 11:07 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My DD was recently diagnosed with pneumonia and she had absolutely no symptoms! No coughing, no fever, no pain, sleeping and eating and running normally, no shortness of breath, NOTHING!!! It was a fluke that she had a doctor's appointment and the doc heard crackling in her lungs and sent her for an x-ray.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It's not the flu (and the flu shot does NOT prevent the flu anyway). Pneumonia is suspected by listening to the lungs, verified by x-raying the lungs. Sometimes with bloodwork if the x-ray is questionable. Doesn't sounds like pneumonia anyway. Sound slike bad reactions to meds, sinus/ear infections, maybe some upper resperitory junk.
    Anonymous

• You take her to the doctor and they run tests to find out. Stop trying to self-diagnosis because there are many diseases that have very similar symptoms that need xrays or other tests to accurately diagnosis.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2011