Have you ever felt like your child was being singles out in school?

Last week my cousin got murdered. We weren't that close but it's still painful to think about. Anyways, they caught the murderer and it was some kid with the same last name as us (my married name) but absolutely no relation to us!
Ever since this happened my sons teacher begins to complain about my son being unfocused, inattentive, distracted, etc.
Now, I did not mention any of this to my son about the murder. Because he's too young to know about stuff like this. Last Friday as he gets off the school bus his bus driver says to him "hey you they caught that murderer and his last name is "so & so". My son came in to the house with loads of questions. I do not feel like I have to clarify to anyone that the murderer is not related to us just cause he has our last name! I feel like my son is being singled out cause of this. And who gives this stupid bus driver the right to mention this to my son?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 10:31 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• yeah the bus driver was WAY out of line and needs to be talked to out of earshot of your child. I would also talk to the principle and guidance counselor to give them a heads up just in case this keeps happening. People can be so cruel sometimes. But keep you head up and i am sorry that you are going thru this
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:37 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• NIP IT IN THE BUD.

Let the bus driver know you can not and will not speak to my child like that.

Go to the school and fix it. You are the mom and need to protect him. It just will get worst if you don't. Be a lady don't scream and yell and if you can record the conversation, that way it is clear you don't want it discussed. That has nothing to do with your family. Make that clear too.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My son WAS always singled out. He had bipolar disorder that was misdiagnosed as ADHD and the meds made him worse behavior wise. You have to nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand. I made myself more than known at his school, and they knew what I would accept and what I believed was singling out. It does help to go there and sit down with them and explain like you did just now. As for the bus driver schools usually dont supervise them, but when you talk to the principle get the bus drivers bosses name and phone number and give him a call.

Answer by gemgem at 10:58 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would agree that the bus driver should have not said what he said.but kids are cruel.If you act like it is nothing to be upset about to him, he maybe won't be bothered so much by it.Complement him on the good things he does or is and confidence will neutralize the bad stuff.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would talk to the school and bus driver. He had no right talking to a child about that.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2011