Do you punish you kid when he or she does something wrong? if so, how?

I do i put them in the coner if that dont work i spank them

april_f

Asked by april_f at 10:36 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I did the spanking for a while.  But then the reasons I spank went out the window and my kids don't do anything in my opinion that warrants a spanking.  I did swat my baby girl for touching the stove after being told no.  Haven't had a problem with that again.  Now it's the corner.  I'm not saying they won't ever give me what I feel like is a valid reason to spank them but I'm not going to spank them for no reason so I rely on the corner and time out method.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Time out, take things away.

I hate to spank, not saying I have not done it in the past but I hate it. Now they are older, spanking didn't work for my kids. Taking things away does. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have teens and yes if they don't follow the rules and expectations set for them, they are punished. It is very rare that this happens, but when it does they loose their freedom (no going out with friends during the week or on the weekend - school and sports that's it.)
    If it gets really bad then I take away the cell phones.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Time outs, taking away things and you must be consistant for it to work, no exceptions!
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 10:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• When they were younger they got time outs and/or losing a toy.

Now they lose privileges and have things like iPods taken away, or no baseball, basketball, getting together with so and so. We charge them for back talk - a nickel a comment, which doesn't happen often. My 6 yr old does still get time outs, but the other 2 are too old 11 &13.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I do punish them when they act out. The punishment depends on the rule that was broken, our consequences are all aimed at making the child think about their behavior and hopefully teach them something. It may involve time out, extra chores to pay back for time or money, a writing assignment to show thought about the behavior, loss of privileges, etc.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:45 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i punish them by time out or taking a way certain electronics it really depends on what the crime is then i punish accordingly
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:48 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I dont spank, never have, never will. I always have talked to my kids from the time they were babies, so they know when moms talking they have to listen. I use time out, grounding, and lectures.

Answer by gemgem at 10:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It probably depends what they did wrong, I would have stronger punishments for murder than I would for not picking up their rooms. Sorry I'm in a silly mood today!
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i'm not against spanking at all. i know i needed it. otherwise i wouldn't pay attention to anything my parents said. *blahblahblah can't hear you *SMACK* ow. oh! sorry. you're serious...* haha! that's just me being hard headed.

my daughter on the other hand.. it depends on what she did. she's almost 3 now. and i think for a toddler she does pretty well. i haven't even had a full blown flat on the ground i hate you tantrum. she's smart. i've only smacked her hand once, and that was because we were in a pick up zone with cars behind us and she was fighting me when i tried to put her in her carseat.

other than that it's you clean up your toys or mommy does it and you never see it again. or nose in the timeout corner (doesn't happen very often). but she usually just listens.... it's weird. O__o
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 10:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2011