Do kids get made fun of for their names still??

With all the different/unique names out there, do kids still get picked on for names anymore? My husband opted not to name our son Maximus and Named him Max because he was afraid of possible name calling.. he's now thinking of changing it..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• It happens, but it happens even when names are really common/normal. I think today's kids may have a different take on what's weird too.

Note to Jeanie75: your sister's baby may not be made fun of by other kids.  My 3 year olds think Phineas and Ferb are very normal names, but they think Jeremy is funny. 

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Does a bear shit in the woods?
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I think if you teach your son to be proud of who he is, no one's going to pick on him. We're naming our DS "Barrett Andrew Geis" and I've had a few people comment "His initials will be "bag" and I generally reply with "you don't call a kid by his initials do you?" I have every intention of calling him Barrett, or Little Bear... might even call him Andy. We'll see. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes of course they do!!!! Now it is just worst, and kids are more brutal...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• To answer both questions.....YES!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Absolutely they do! But.....kids will make fun of anything & everything if they really want to pick on someone, so name your child what you want.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• yes kids still can get teased about their names..kids will get teased about anything and everything, it's been happening since human beings learned to talk lol.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• No matter what you name a child, other children will find a way to make fun of it. It's been that way since thebeginning of time. And, will continue till the end of time. Unfortunately.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• kids will make fun of kids over anything. even if it's completely normal. and you can make his legal name maximus but just call him max.

i think when he's in high school/college that would actually be kind of a cool name. but that might just be because my husband and i are immature and like to make penis jokes.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 10:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My grandpa's name was Max and I would love to use that name for a child if I ever had one again (not planning on it). I'm not sure if they really get teased about names. If they don't, they get teased about everything else. There's no way to avoid it :( My kids are homeschooled so there's no teasing going on here. No one in their sports activities has said anything mean, or at church.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2011