How can I help my friend get her own place ASAP?

She just got out of jail, has a kid (who was born in jail), and just got kicked out of her place. She is on food stamps and cash assistance, but has no where to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

KateShesGreat3

Asked by KateShesGreat3 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't know about where you live but where I live, you can call the churches.  There is a church where I live where they own houses and you get free rent, utilities, etc. for 3 months to save up some money and get your stuff together.  They don't pay for cable/phone but at least you got running water and heat.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Tell her to let them know, welfare she has no place to go. Depending on the state NJ will help her get somewhere to stay.... Sorry to hear she was in Jail, and pray she will lead a better path if not for her for her baby....

Good luck
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• See if there's any apts around that rent is based off pay.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Well, she doesn't have a job, and where we live the only other option is a homeless shelter.
    KateShesGreat3

Comment by KateShesGreat3 (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Dial 211... it's a nationwide hotline that will connect you to services in your town.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2011