Anyone know if there's any harm if getting hep b shot too early, pedi staff made a mistake!!

I'm so mad to found out that the pedi gave my 4 month old son 3rd dose of hep b shot yesterday. Does anyone know if there's any harm if he get it too early? Or does he have to make up the 3rd one later? Pedi called back and told us the staff make a mistake!!!! My son is fine he's eating and playing after the shot so no side effect, but still. He will have another shot when he's 6 months old.

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your Dr should have TOLD you if there was potential harm. Or his nurse should have explained this to you. Google for the answer or call the Dr back.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:11 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Oh boy. I'm not sure. What did they say? I probably wouldn't take anything they said seriously after something like that. You don't just accidentally give a vaccine like that and earn my trust.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:11 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I am thinking that he will be ok and he won't need the 3rd shot again. This is a question you should be asking the doctor or call the immunization hotline number that is on the handout for the immunizations. You can even call the health department for information and the phone number.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would be pissed! I would be taking my child to another doctor. He should have told you if there was harmful risk. What abunch of dumbasses at that clinic.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Here is a link that may help give you info  http://csd.nau.edu/graduate/docs/Hepatitis_B_Waiver.pdf

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:13 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• she called back, she mentioned that my son can have another shot when he's turn 6 months and somehow the phone got cut off then I called back she's with patient and will call back in half hr
    Amy2079

Comment by Amy2079 (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• He WILL have to get another shot, my son did because he got it 2 weeks too early. Did you not ask questions about the shots they were injecting into your child? My children are fully vax'd except for my 2 y/o because are giving her hers delayed but, I still get all the shots explained to me.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:20 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Def. Call her back! I would be irrate. Sounds like she doesn't want to speak about the mistake that happened and I would be finding a new doctor.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wasn't there yesterday, b/c I can't make it. The dad was there and they gave himt he shot so quick dad didn't even get a chance to ask.
    Amy2079

Comment by Amy2079 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Oh no, no, no, no, no! That is SO unprofessional. You could report them, I don't know where, maybe the American Pediatric Association? That is inexcusable. I'm sorry that happened. Why would your son have to have another shot after that one. I would probably tell them, absolutely no, you are not giving my son another shot at 6 months. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/child-schedule.htm#parents Check this schedule. I would also look at the catch-up schedule and see how close the shots can be given, but I think it is 2 months apart. I would just see how many total shots he needs and then go from there. I hope that makes sense. Good luck!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2011