Child injured at our house - now parents are ignoring us - how should we react?

My 7-year olds best friend was injured at our house by accidently cutting his hand (no stiches needed) with scisorrs while we were not in the room. We have apologized and checked on him but his mom ignored us for weeks. The kid told my son that it was "your dad's fault that I got hurt because he should have kept a closer eye on me". He is not the issue - it is his overportective mom. My son adores his best friend and I still allow him to go to his house but I worry about the mom. Was the accident our fault adn should we continue to apologize? I have no desire to be friends with the mom anymore (this is not the first time she has pulled this) but don't want to break the kids up. She also happens to be the PTA president and I worry what she says about us (again - she has done to others)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• More apologies won't take back what happened. It's over and done. You should move on even if she cannot.

The fact that your child's friend is still allowed to associate with your child is a good sign.

Don't worry about what she says. Don't buy into the PTA power play. Just continue to be the best parent you know how to be. Anyone with intelligence already has this mom's number.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Yeah i think it is your fault. if my child was in your care i would be upset if they were playing with scissors and were able to be alone long enough to get th e scissors and sit there and cut themselves. i would ignore you too.

as far as you apologizing, you could apologize until your red in the face, if you already apologized and shes still being cold. just walk away from the situation, you did what you needed to do and apologize.

i also wouldnt let other parents opinions get to you. if youre a good mother, you know it.

good luck.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I think accidents happen and that you apologized, there is nothing more that you can do. All these moms can act like they are perfect and that their child has never been injured...it's bs. Things happen, kids get hurt, and that's just the way life is.

Just continue to let the kids be friends and that's all you can do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• At 7 years old the child knows better, she needs ti understand kids are kids. Also if she says things and other believe them then maybe she needs to loose her pta member ship. Let it blow over and if thye dont wantto talk about leave it alone. bUT AS FOR THE CHILD SAYING IT WAS YOUR HUSBANDS FAULT i WOULD ASK THE CHILD HOW OLD THEY ARE AND SEE IF THEY NO BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG FOR HE IS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 3:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• They left their child in your care and you did not watch him. They may be worried what could happen next time. I personally think 7 year old children should be supervised when they have scissors not over protective just a common sense mom. I would be angry if you did not supervise my son when he was using them. Does not mean you are hovering just are aware of what they are doing. Teenagers do stupid shit all the time so I am not sure why anyone would think a 7 year old should know better. I would apologize again and sit down to speak with them. If they choose to keep their child away from yours nothing you can do. Chalk this up to experience from now on you know to watch other peoples children that are in your care more carefully.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My son is 7 and knows how to use scissors. First off, at 7 you should not have to hover over them. These moms posting anon are being way too harsh on you. The child said "it's your dads fault...." b/c that's what he heard from his parents. He did not think of that on his own. All you can do is apologize, you did what you should have done...said you're sorry and you messed up. The children are still allowed to play together which is good. I would allow them to keep doing that. It does not mean that you have to be friends with the mom, just cordial.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:26 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I'm totally with a and j momma. The child was only repeating what one of his parents said. Also, a 7 year old is more than capable of using scissors unsupervised - my four year old uses safety scissors by himself, and I'm NOT concerned... and according to his "doctor", I should have let him start using scissors at the age of two!
    You can apologize for the child getting hurt at your house, but if she's a bitch about it, then keep the discussion between you two solely about the boys whereabouts when they play together, and only that.

Also, be aware in the future that if a mom feels like being an insane bitch, they can charge YOU if their child gets hurt on your property... like if you have a trampoline, this day and age, make parents sign waivers before their kids can play on it.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• jeez kelso...can you be any more annoying with your rudeness? I see you're pregnant. Is it your first? Good luck doing everything right if so. You will learn, girlie, you WILL learn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• unless her kid is retarded, it's not your fault and he knows better. let her be a bitch and move on.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 4:44 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I have been in this exact situation and I would not apologize again. If you have already done this and you do not want to be friends with her then let it be. It is not going to matter how many times you apologize she is still going to be this way.

As far as what she is saying about you ignore it. I would get so upset wondering what she was saying until I finally realized it did not matter. The staff and my child's school know me and my children and so they know that sometimes things that she says are untrue. You will probably find the same thing at your school. I am nice to my child's teacher and to the other staff in the school and that is all that matters.

If you kids still like to play together that is fine. I would still let them get together.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2008