Laptop mouse question

I'm having this really strange problem with my laptop and wondering if anyone knows why and how to fix it (before I call HP about it).    I got this new HP laptop in December.  Something strange has happened a few times now .... all of the sudden, a square box will come on the screen that shows a hand with a red line through it.  Then a little red light will go on in the mouse area, and then the mouse quits.  Stops working.  Freezes.  I have to shut down the laptop with the power button and then it will restart after a few minutes and the red light will go off and it will be fine.  It's so frustrating!  Especially when I'm in the middle of typing an email or whatever. 

Does anyone know what could be wrong and how to fix it?  I know, I can call HP or the store it was purchased from for tech support, but thought I'd ask here first.  Sometimes I get customer service reps on the phone that are impossible to understand.

CookieMom108

Asked by CookieMom108 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Technology

• My son had to figure this out for me also. If you look on the touchpad there should be a tiny circle in the top left corner. When it freezes up it is because you have double tapped it with you finger by mistake, to make it unfreeze you have to double tap it again.
    artex501

Answer by artex501 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2011

• try asking google or calling best buy and try calling hp themselves. there should be an 800 #
    Miszross

Answer by Miszross at 11:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I've never had that problem but maybe it has something to do with your touchpad?

There is a way to disable your touchpad when you've got a mouse plugged in. I'm not sure how to do it on an HP but i am sure it would be easy to figure out. I'd just go to the help section on control panel and search "disable touchpad" and see what it says.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• When you get sevice rps you can't understand, tell them you can't understand them and you wish to speak to someone in America. Other than that, I have never seen that problem. Sorry.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Is it an actual mouse, or the touchpad? If it's an actual mouse, is it one that needs a battery? My first guess would be the battery is dead/dying and it's trying to tell you to change it. If it's not that, or you're referring to the touchpad...I'd say call HP, because I can't think of anything that would make it do that.

One other thought...get the manual out, and see if it gives you a little glossary of what different icons could mean. Maybe that'll give you a clue.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• That's odd...we have two HP laptops (one is 5 or 6 years old, the other is...a year and a half old? can't remember exactly) and have never had a problem like that. Do you have a wireless mouse, just to see what happens if you use that? They're cheap, if you don't, I'd give that a try.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It's actually a touchpad, not a mouse like on a desktop.  I didn't even realize when I was writing my question earlier, just called it a mouse. 

Thank you all for the replies.

CookieMom108

Comment by CookieMom108 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Have you tried to see if an updated touchpad driver is out on http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

Sometimes reinstalling/updating a touchpad driver might fix it or search the archived questions/answers on the above site as well?
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Not yet hellokittykat, but I will try that.  Thanks :) 

Since it's only a few months old, I wouldn't think it would need any major updates.  But yesterday, I was out for an hour and came home to my 7 yr old on it!  He's really good and careful with it, but I wonder if maybe he somehow did something at some point in the last few weeks.  I'm so not a techie.  He said it never happened while he was on, but I told him to please stick to his desktop for now.  lol.

CookieMom108

Comment by CookieMom108 (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Thanks Artex! It worked :)
    CookieMom108

Comment by CookieMom108 (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2011