What age did you start your period?

My dd is going to be 13 this and still has not started. I was 11. So I've been waiting for it to happen.
I've been told that it's a good thing when you dont start till later like early teens later. Ever heard that? I've also been told that her diet has some to do with it all.. Any thoughts??

bizima4

Asked by bizima4 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I was 15. I think the later the better!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I was a late bloomer also, I was about 14.

Answer by older at 11:41 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I was 11 or 12.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I was 10 and I have had period problems ever since I started. I'm sure she's fine :)
    kayceeisit

Answer by kayceeisit at 11:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I was 12.

If she's healthy and active, I wouldn't worry about it. Generally, mom's age has a good bit to do with it, but obviously not always. I also recently read about a study that showed that weight has a lot to do with it; like once a girl reaches a certain weight, it releases a hormone that instructs the body to start puberty (this was a study about why girls are starting puberty sooner and what childhood obesity might have to do with it, so I'm not sure if it still applies to situations like yours where the girl starts later). I've also heard that being very active can delay it; many female athletes don't start their period until much later.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I was 11 and have never had problems. I was a very skinny kid, but I've been told that generally kids that are heavier tend to start earlier, skinny kids start later.

Answer by missanc at 11:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• 11 and when i got it idk what it was no one ever told me that it would happen 3:
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 11:44 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I was 10, and actually my doctor told me that it's not true that the sooner you get your period the sooner it ends or vice versa unfortunately.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• 13, just a couple weeks after 7th grade was done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• 12 1/2. Unless she is 16 and doesn't get her period, don't worry about it. If she is involved in sports, on meds she may not get it early. If the doctor was worried, they would say something to you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 6, 2011