Will I ever get to my weight loss goal?

My heaviest weight was around 290. I am now at 239. I would like to get to around 135. Sometimes I feel like it will never happen. I try so hard and then I get off track because of something in my life that comes up and have to keep climbing back on. When I do get off track its usually only for a few days and I never gain back more than 2 or 3 lbs. But I feel like I will never get to my goal. Yes, I know I didn't gain it overnight but I have been trying off and on for 1 year now and nowhere close to where I thought I would be. How do I stay motivated and stay on track when there is always something coming up that involves food or little to no time to exercise? Help, I am so depressed right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• it is also hard for me to stay on track when weekends come up, i drink too much and gain weight off of that and the munchies. By then ive gained 2 pounds that i desperately burned off from the week before. ive been on a "diet" or some sort of diet since my last was born and that was 4 yrs ago.

We have to realize that EVEN THOUGH there are times like the weekends that put us off and whatever it is for you, you need to make sure that you treat it like any other day, just because its the weekend, doesnt mean that you get a break. Above all, watch your soduim intake too, you could be holding in a lot of water weight.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• keep plugging , i know how this goes , you aint alone , i put a treadmil in my small living room to keep myself using it and its been working , i also hang my smaller size shorts on the wall as a constant reminder and that works also.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Set smaller goals and rejoice when you meet them. As you meet each goal, give yourself a reward (not food) of something just for you, then set a new goal. 104lbs is a HUGE goal and can make you feel bad when you don't see progress. Smaller goals are easier to reach and will keep you feeling positive as you go.

Currently I am at 228lbs and have an ultimate goal of 150lbs. My weekly goal is to lose 2 lbs and exercise 3 times this week.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• you have to work out. you will never loose the weight if you dont work out. i dont care what you have to do, you need to find a way to work out. wether its joining a gym, and taking an hour long class 5 days a week, or buying the biggest loser workout dvds and doing them in your living room whenever you have time, or going for a walk / jog. eat small meals every 2-4 hours depending on when your hungry so that you never feel hungry for long during the day which will make you less likley to over eat and also keep your metabolism running fast. Also, give yourself a cheat day.. like for example, if you know your going to a birthday party and everyone is eating pizza, eat a slice of pizza, but then dont cheat again for atleast another week or two depending on well you worked out since then. and you should def check out mega-t green tea pills, i lost weight twice as fast with them as without them & they give me energy.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You're on the right track! I totally understand- I was 269 and I'm 211 now, a year later, trying to get to about 135 myself. Just take it one step at a time, and try not to let instant gratification get in the way of your long term goals. Write out the reasons WHY you want to lose weight and put them somewhere visible. Consider whether the things you're doing are contributing to your goal, or taking you further from it. There will ALWAYS be road blocks, and it's learning how to overcome them. Find ways to fit in SOME exercise, to make healthy food choices at events where there will be food (bring a healthy tray, eat prior to going, don't hang out near the food, choose the healthy foods, don't gorge on large quantities). You DESERVE to be healthy and feel good!!! Visualize yourself at your goal weight. Look at pictures of yourself a year ago, and remember how far you've come. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Also, one cheat day can derail your entire week. A cheat MEAL is very different than a cheat DAY, and a cheat MEAL doesn't have to mean an entire pizza, but maybe 2-3 slices.
    Also, NO pill will help your LONG TERM goals. They ALL make you gain back any weight you lost because of the pills as soon as you stop taking them.
    I'm studying to be a nurse and a nutritionist, if you'd like to PM me. We can do this together if you like! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I am exercising, I have a treadmill, and I use my husbands weight bench.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Hun, you've lost 50 pounds in a year, That's AWESOME, especially with road blocks! But here's some tips, maybe one of them might help...
    1) Get rid of as much stress as possible.
    2) Get enough sleep on a regular basis.
    3) Drink lots of water everyday including before eating.
    4) Make sure you are having 1-3 bowel movements a day. If not then you need the right combination for you of fiber, water, and oil such as fish oil in your diet.
    5) Cut out sugars as much as possible especially in drinks.
    6) Figure out the right way to eat for you. Every person is different and has different dietary needs. You may just need to change how you eat such as eating slower or eating smaller portions or you may need to supplement like if you need more energy you may need vitamin B complex. But it also seems that many people often have to cut out dairy or just replace cow milk with another milk such as almond or rice milk. (con.) --->
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• (con.) --->
    7) With exercise you really have to figure out what works best for you. I gain weight all over so I have to lose it the same way which is why I love dancing and swimming. Just make sure to be careful and stretch every time you exercise to prevent injuries.
    8) Massage the area that you want to tone.
    9) Have fun! Make your food choices and exercises fun.

For some people though if none of these things really help then they may have a more serious problem such as a hormonal imbalance, thyroid or adrenal gland problem in which they may have to consult a doctor.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Losing that much weight is definitely a marathon, not a spring. Slow and steady wins the race. If you've lost 50 pounds in a year by trying "on and off" (your words), then that's pretty good progress! Keep it up, keep setting new goals, and don't give up even if you get temporarily off track. This is a new LIFESTYLE you're creating, not just a fast drop-the-weight-quick effort.

way to go

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011