How would you shop if ya got paid once a month

this is how it is for me..it is hard even when I try to save money..any tips/tricks welcomed.

carisa

Asked by carisa at 11:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• Just because you have the money, you do not need to spend it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:54 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If it is really hard for you to budget and stick to it then I suggest skipping the bank all together. Get the check cashed and separate it into envelopes, gas, electric, food, car, phone, internet.... mail in payments by money order. OR if you think you can do it. Take out cash for things like gas, groceries and spending and put those in envelopes and pay the bills from the bank account. If you have the cash pulled out for the month you can shop bi-weekly or monthly and still have a few dollars for things you run out of set aside.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:59 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• The same way I do now. All of our money goes into a savings account and on the 1st of each month, we transfer what we need for bills, gas, groceries, and spending money in our checking.

Just because you get paid once a month doesn't mean you need to spend it right away.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• VERY CAREFULLY
    JulienBella

Answer by JulienBella at 11:56 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I get paid once a month and I buy everything my daughter and I need for the month as far as houshold items and nececities go. Food is seperate for us.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• when i shopped once a month for my sister i made sure i had a list and if it was somethign i knoew she liked i would get two of them. It takes a few months to get into the habit but it actually saves money to batch shop
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Envelope system. You budget what you need into envelopes (groceries, gas, haircuts, car stuff, etc.).
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 12:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would do a huge shopping trip once a month. I would go to Costco and really stock up.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:53 AM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You put the money in an account and only use a portion of it. Do not overdo when the amount is the largest. Split it up over the period.
    tootoobusy

• I'd do a large shopping trip when I got paid to stock up on staples, and save out a weekly budget for produce and other perishables that you can't really buy once a month.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:54 AM on Apr. 6, 2011