When should I call the doctor?

One of my 8 month old twins has a hoarsey cough, but no other symptoms. No fever, sneezing, etc. He laughs and plays as usual and is eating just fine. I have put a humidifier in their room to help. It's been about 5 days since he started the cough. When should I call the doctor?

TALuke

Asked by TALuke at 12:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just make an appt with the doctor to be seen. Since there is no fever, it doesn't sound serious.. but better to be safe.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would go ahead and call because it has lasted so long and I am guessing is not any better at all. It is more than likely seasonal allergies but you would need he doctor to recommend what is best for a child that young to take.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My son just had that. He's two, and my daughter who just turned 1. I took them in once I saw a fever of over 101 for more than 24 hours and once it had been over 7 days. That's just what I do, but they did get fevers. Turns out the cough was the least of their problems since they both had double ear infections! My son never even complained about his ears or anything, so don't wait too long if you're concerned, but definitely if he spikes a fever over 100 for more than a few hours. Good luck.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would go ahead and make an appt. just incase it would possibly get worse before getting better.
    AydensMommy1109

Answer by AydensMommy1109 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• 5 days of cough , make apt.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Id wait till the kid is showing other signs like a fever, not eating or not playing or is lethargic to call the Dr.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• since it's been about 5 days i'd call today just to be on the safe side, gl i hope it's nothing serious :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• the answer to that is if you are thinking about calling the babies doctor call them, you are mom you know best as to whether something is not right. Your doctor is hired to do a service for you if they can't do a simple thing like answer a moms questions and see your child real quickly than they do not deserve to call themselves a pediatrician. I have called my kids doctor about everything from rashes to unexplained fevers and I have to say they have always been really good. Don't worry about whether they are annoyed by your call or try and make you feel foolish. Your greatest duty since giving birth is taking care of those babes, I would much rather be over protective and call now rather than wait until somenight this week when the baby is screaming in the middle of the night besides a little cough can turn into pnemonia
    victoriagosbee

Answer by victoriagosbee at 12:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2011