Has anyone thought of outing Santa Clause simply because they can't afford their children's insane demands?

My sister came out and told her children the truth this year because her children were going crazy with wish lists and she and her husband really didn't have alot of money to work on the christmas shopping. I know we have to tell the kids at some point but would we be robbing their imaginations to tell them any earlier than we had too?

victoriagosbee

Asked by victoriagosbee at 12:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Shopping

• We do Santa, but my son knows that even Santa does not have unlimited resources =)

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• We have always been honest about Santa in this house. But our children have never asked for anything for Christmas or Yule. They don't know they are supposed to ask for stuff I guess. But I'm sure they'll figure it out soon, my oldest will be 5 soon... I'm thinking that's about the age they figure it out.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Ahh,the poor people clause! This is how I learned at a very young age that Santa wasn't real. I couldn't figure out what I did wrong that I never got what I asked for,but the other kids did.
    Maybe suggest to your sis to start buying really early in the year or putting money into a Christmas account

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would never do that, not until it had to be done and def not for that reason. You just have to find a way to explain that santa can only do so much, and lay away is always an option! A child should never assume he will get everything on his list, My son is always happy if he gets just one gift he really loves =-) Imagination is a wonderful thing and shouldnt be taken away any earlier than it has to be.
    AydensMommy1109

Answer by AydensMommy1109 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• No I never outed Santa lol, regardless of their demands. Mine knew from an early age Santa is not going to bring them everything on their list, because Santa has to bring everyone gifts. Mine also only get 1-2 Santa gifts. Santa does not bring all the gifts, so they get 1-2 gifts on their "list". The rest of the gifts come from family and friends and is part of the spirit of giving and celebrating the birth of Jesus. So no matter how broke I might be one year I usually manage being able to get 1-2 gifts off "the list".

Answer by gemgem at 12:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I never lied to my children about a magical fat pedophile that brings presents.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 12:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Pedophile? Really? Maybe you should warn them about Boyscout leaders & Catholic priests.
    Anonymous

• I would never tell my son just for those reasons, or earlier then necessary. I always find a way. Usually we only ask santa for 1 thing. He's 5 and every year I've been able to convince him this 1 toy is so super exciting it's all he asks santa for. This year he asked santa for the christmas geotrax set, which i knew was 150, so I started saving in like August. Towards Christmas he ended up "wishing" to santa for an aircraft carrier, and just so his little heart wouldn't be crushed santa brought that too, but he never actually asked for it. I overheard him one night in bed. When we were younger we made lists like most people, and santa brought 1 thing from everyone's list. So although my mom couldn't afford 3 gameboy's which were ALWAYS on our lists, she could afford some of the other things, so no one ever figured out Santa until we were much older. I'd be so sad if DS figured out Santa now, now is when it starts getting fun!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• my kids knew from an early age santa was on a budget and they only ask for things with in that budget.....my dd 15 joke this year that santa had moved to china because it was more cost effient because all the stuff was made there .....we had a good laugh and ds know thinks santa lives in china.....oh well its the innoce that matters.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2011