Do you think flip flops are bad for your feet?

Spring is upon us, and with it the time to strap on some fun, stylish flip-flops and start enjoying the season's beauty. So run to the local drug store, grab some inexpensive flip-flops, and head outdoors, right? Wrong.

The truth is many of our favorite flip-flops can be sending us feet first into serious injuries to our feet, ankles, knees, hips and even our back. Over time these injuries can lead to serious bone, tendon, and joint damage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-whyte-md-mph/flip-flops-hurt-feet-_b_844981.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 12:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Health

• My mom has worn them all her life, and so have I. I will admit, though, that I have taken more than one spill in them. Mostly because of rain or wet floors. There are some flippers where I grab onto the shoe with my toes, but for the most part, I don't do that. It sucks that all the stuff we love- junk food, coke, sweets, tv, and flip-flops- are all out to kill us :(
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes, they are horrid for your feet. But even knowing that, I wear them all year round - even in the snow!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Its true,they are bad.
    I heard it right from an orthopedic doctor

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wear flip flops year round. Oh well.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• yes, while they are horrible for your feet, i wear them year round....i HATE socks! ''/
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I believe wearing fip flops is a big contributing cause to development later in life of hammer toes. It's that constant pressure downward to hold the flip flops in place that seems to train the tendons to revert as our bodies age and tendon strength weakens.
    graham072442

Answer by graham072442 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• The cheap ones can cause damage. I wear flip flops most of the year, so I buy ones that are more structured and don't hurt the feet. They're expensive for flip flops, around $60 a pair, but they're comfortable and don't damage the feet.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• they are bad, if you are wearing them and nothing else. i wear non-slip supportive shoes for work, and running shoes to work out... tennis shoes in the garden or to mow the lawn. if i'm in flip flops its just around the house, lounging, hanging out with my kids, etc...
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yep and yet I wear them year round, even when it snows just like a PP. I love Old Navy's yearly flip-flop sale, the 2 for 1$. They sell out sooooo quickly but if you're in line soon enough you can really stock up. Last year I bought 6 pairs and only wore through 1, so I'm still set for this year! Good thing too cause i'm due in July and there's no way in hell I'd spend the summer bending over trying to put on socks and shoes.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2011