How do you get your toddler/pre-schooler to get a haircut?

My son is 3 and has only had 1 haircut so far. I keep his hair a little longer because his hair line goes so far back, but when it does need to be cut its like WWIII has just begun! The last time i tried to take him he kicked,screamed and hit until we left. then i tried to preoccupie him so i could trim it and i ended up making it worse..lol How do you get your child to go get a hair cut? btw bribing with toys or snacks DOES NOT work! There is no reasoning with my child! lol

AydensMommy1109

Asked by AydensMommy1109 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my hair dresser just handed her a lollipop after that it was easy peesy
    victoriagosbee

Answer by victoriagosbee at 12:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• im a proffesional , so they know  mom cuts their hair and they are to be still

letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• There is a kid's hair cutting place near our home. They are wonderful
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• We go to the kids haircut place near our home. They usually let him hold a special toy (last time it was Thomas, which thrilled him!) and my husband or I blow bubbles for him while they cut his hair. They're used to fidgety kids!

Answer by missanc at 12:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I can relate, my son is 3 and my hairdresser wont cut his hair as he screams the place down. I watched a woman cutting her childs hair on you tube and copied that. even with me doing it is a nightmare
    june43

Answer by june43 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have always cut my Sons hair myself. I cut it while he is in the bath & playing with his toys. I cut his hair so often that he is so used to it that he doesn't even notice. I cover his back & shoulders with a warm wet towel so he doesn't get itchy from the hair. Then I refresh the water when I am done with plenty of bubbles.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• my 3 year old loves it. He knows he is going to look handsome/feel better after words

I am sorry :(
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 1:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i went through the same thing with my 4 year old. i started cutting his hair at home. (keep in mind in not great at it) i would sit him on the counter at the bathroom sink, turn on the warm water... and let him stick his feet it the sink.. he would make a mess playing in the water with a few toys, i worked with the way he had his head tilted a certain way.. if he wanted to move i would let him and just work with what he gave me ya no? it let him know he was in control in what was going on and before he knew it we were done. after i did that a few times he was fine with getting it cut from a professional because he knew there was nothing to be afraid of. Good Luck!!!
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 3:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• tape them to the chair lol.. no you can if your doing the hair cut put on a movie he likes and if your taking him some where then let the girl talk to him first and may be he can watch her cut some one else hair first i dont know
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2011