Can I use a regular digital thermometer to temp?

And do I use it orally? Or what is best?

Marah2008

Asked by Marah2008 at 4:07 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• in the butt is the most accurate way, but it u cannot do that then take away a degree under your tongue, and add a degree under your arm
    SHADYZGIRL1983

Answer by SHADYZGIRL1983 at 4:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• NO NO NO, you don't add anything to or take anything away from any temps what you get is what you get. if you are taking your temps for charting then yes you can use a regular digital thermometer and the best way to take it is orally. also make sure you take it when you first wake up before you talk or get up to pee or anything. good luck
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 11:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• i did temps and it was so confusing. All it told me was yes i ovulated. I stopped the temps and went for ovulation kits. the temp taking was so confusing and made the whole things so much harder. good luck to all ttc.
    Anonymous

• I've always used a regular digital thermometer, and it works fine for me. Take it orally, right when you wake up, before you get out of bed; since you're looking for shifts in your temperature, it's not necessary to add or take away anything, just look at patterns over time (and be sure you use the same thermometer every morning). The thing with temp charting, though, is it's not good at telling you when you're going to ovulate, just that you have (and it can tell you when to expect your period, so if it doesn't show up and you're charting, you can know for sure when it should have shown up to know if you're pregnant or not, great if your cycles are irregular). For ovulating, it's better to use OPK's or chart cervical mucus.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• you can enter your temps on www.ferilityfriend.com temps tell you after you ovulate. It is best to use a basil body thermometer. More accurate. You can also use opks. You can do it oraly, like the pp said. First thing when you wake up. same time everyday.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• You should spend the extra and get a basal thermometer. They're about $30 at Target. It's got an extra decimal point, and that can make a difference. You do take your temp orally. Take it at EXACTLY the same time every night, when you've been asleep for a few hours. I took mine at 3AM, because it was he only consistent time I knew I'd be asleep (as it's coming on 3 now!!). I had my alarm set, and would wake up, take my temp, write it down, and go back to sleep. This is the most accurate way to go about basal temp.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:49 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Different thermometers are calculated differently, so you would get the best more accurate result with a Basal body thermometer, and they can be digital and easy to read. You do need to add a degree when you take the temperature under the arm, I didn't know you subtracted one under the tongue though....that may depend on if it's a BBT or not. Rectally or vaginally is the best way to do it though. The most important thing of all is to be consitent. Don't switch thermometers during a cycle and don't temp orally one day and rectally the next. (UM... actually there's more than just consistancy reasons to avoid that!!!!)
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 3:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• that should say 'callibrated' instead of 'calculated' i am sorry for the typo
    MamaCatCat

• to the person who said the basil body thermometers are $30 at target ..... They are only $7 at walgreens.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2008