Affordable Good Quality Dog Food?

I have 6 year old boxer. She is not very active. She sleeps and lays down while inside but will run and play in the yard when I let her out. She is 55-60lbs. We are thinking about switching her dog food but we cant afford a whole lot. I was thinking purina Light and Fit (I think its Purina) aince she is so lazy. Is that good dog food? She is on Ol' Roy right now and has been since her activity level dropped, so about 2 years now.

Also we just got an American Bulldog 8 week old puppy. She is on Purina Puppy Chow (thats what the breeder fed her) I feed her 1/2 cup 3 times a day. She seems to be doing well on it. They both go to the vet on the 16th and I know vets tend to tell you pricey dog foods and since we have such a young puppy and an older Boxer we have to buy two seperate dog foods. so we need something thats about 20-25lbs for 40lb bags.

I am mainly asking if these dog foods are ok? What do you feed your dogs??
Sorry if this is confusing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Pets

• Purina is a great brand. It's considered Name brand and billions of pets have lived long healthy lives on Purina only food's.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Actually PP Purina is crap! Go to Dogfoodanalysis.com. Most supermarket brands contain mostly corn which dogs cannot process well. You have to feed more which makes you buy more in turn making your dog food higher priced overall. Do you know vets only have one class on dog food and it is taught by the big dog food makers?! They don't have any other class on nutrition so unless your vet has done his/her own research they don't know much. And they get kickbacks from selling those crappy brands of dog food. Your best bet is to look at that website and then visit your local Pet smart or TSC. You'll pay slightly higher, but your dog food will be better quality and you will not need to feed as much dog food per feeding. Your bag of dog food will last longer and your dog will be healthier.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• cont...
    Look at the first 5 ingredients on your food. Then look at the first 5 on a quality brand of dog food. Dogs are NOT vegetarians. Some whole grain is ok. But it shouldn't be the main ingredient. By-products are beaks, feathers and other unedible parts of animals. Its not as healthy and gives little nutrition.
    SalemWitchChild

• Both of the foods you are feeding, ol roy especially, is crap. The site mentioned above is a good one to research foods. Blue buffalo is a good food and not that expensive I don't think. Another one is Verus, It only gets three stars on dog food analysis but it is much better than many of the brands you are probably familiar with.  One the site look at the food that are 3 star and up some are pricey but others are more affortable.  

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I agree, Purina and Ol' Roy are NOT good brands. I would recommend you see if you can get Diamond Naturals (MUST be Naturals, not the regular line)...it has no corn, wheat, soy, or nasty byproducts/chemicals. Near me, I can get a 40lb bag for around $25-30. Since it is higher quality that dogs can actually digest properly, they will need to eat less. Since you have a large breed puppy, it should be fed a food for large breed puppies. So, you will have to buy two different bags. I personally feed my dogs Taste of the Wild and rotate between the 4 flavors. It is grain free and SUPPOSEDLY for all life stages, but does NOT have the proper calcium/phosphorus ratio for large breed puppies so I wouldn't recommend it for your puppy although it'll be fine for your older dog. I pay around $45 for 30lbs and it lasts 6 wks with my two Shelties so it ends up costing about $1/day.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I was buying Eukanuba or Nutro, but I found Blue Seal (don't know if this is regional, hope not) makes same quality if not better and it's cheaper.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 11:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I like Orijen I have feed Blue Buffalo and Authority baked and the other foods that have grades of A or B but I like Orijen the best.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2011