How do I explain puberty to my son?

I am a single mom and my son's dad is pretty much non-existent in his life, and there are no other good male role models to turn to. My son is 14 and I know he will soon be going through puberty. He has ASD(Autism Spectrum Disorder) and is somewhat immature, he is bright, but even though he is 14-maturity wise, I would say he is probably about 9 or 10 at the oldest. He has no modesty, and although I tell him he needs to get dressed/undressed in his room or the bathroom, he will still sometimes do so in front of me or my mother. So I know he has not started going through a lot of the changes he will yet. The only real notice I have seen is that he is starting to get hair on his upper lip.

I need some help! I am not a prude, bt discussing puberty with my son is something that I am dreading. I have no idea where to start, what to say, etc. I know what all they go through, and I even got a book that is aimed at the kids for him, but he is legally blind and the print in it is too small for him to read. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!!

Tawneekitn

Asked by Tawneekitn at 12:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• They make some awesome books with pictures just for this! There are a couple that come to mind. 'A Boy's Body Book' Sex Puberty and All That Stuff', and 'Whats Happening to my Body- For Boys' I would hit the book store and read through a few of them and find the right one for your son then sit down and look at it with him. Leave it for him to read through on his own and then make sure to leave the message that you are willing to answer ALL questions. Oh also 'How You Are Changing: For Boys Ages 10-12 and Parents'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• There's a great book called "What's Going On Down There" - make sure you get the boys version! Read it first and it should give you some great places to start. Leave it in his room so he can go back and look up things or read through it. I had to do the same thing with my son - except I started talking to him when he was 10 about the changes he was going to go through. I try to be as relaxed as possible and not show any surprise at some questions he asks - and he's asked some doozies! (ie "do girls really put guys balls in their mouths?" Something he heard at school - he's in 5th grade!)

Answer by missanc at 12:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• 14 is kinda of late to be talking about puberty. Most boys have already started. There are many good books available. Also, talk to your sons school nurse or health teacher.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Truthfully,don't need to go into details. Just answer the questions your child asks.
    kim2k7

Answer by kim2k7 at 9:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2011