What can I do to get my baby to sleep at night like before?

My son is 4.5 months old. He is breastfed and had been pretty much sleeping through the night. Until this past week. He now gets up every 4 hours and is up for the day at 5:30am. He used to get up once (around 3 or 4 am) and then sleep until 7:30am -8:00am. He seems like he is hungry all the time. Even during the day he is really crabby, and will hardly let me put him down. it seems like he wants to nurse more than usual. He still eats about every 1.5-2 hours during the day . He is on Zantac for his tummy, and i think he may be teething because he's chewing and drooling a lot, but even when I give him tylenol it only helps a little bit. am I not making enough milk? I have no idea what is going on. Any suggestions what I can do? Thank you.

mantamoo

Asked by mantamoo at 12:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can never not make enough milk & make sure he's getting at 15 mins of really good sucking, not just the beginning milk.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 1:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• He's normal./ It would have been unusual for him to keep a sleep pattern. They generally do change it up.

Keep doing EXACTLY as you are. The best way to encourage sleep is to keep to a routine and keep wakeup time brisk and businesslike.

You;re making enough milk. All of this is normal stuff.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• He might be going through a growth spurt too, that's what it sounds like to me! He's at about the right age for one. Just give it a week and I'm sure he'll go back to his old sleep pattern.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 1:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• This is all totally normal! My guess is that he is teething. Just keep following his lead, he will sleep longer again eventually!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011