Cutting Classes?

Due to budget cuts and other financial factors more and more schools are cutting classes. Many schools are cutting Arts, Musics, Foreign Language and even Advanced or College Credit classes, simply because they don't have enough funding to keep them all.

Assuming we all wish that all schools could not only keep but expand their curriculum... What classes do you think schools should cut when they have to? And why?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• The high schools in my area offer a LOT of electives. I think some, not all, of those should be considered cut first. If I had the book here I'd list some but I really thought some of the choices are a bit much. Our district lost a tax increase vote recently & they are making a lot of cuts. They are going to start charging for sports & other extra-curricular things.
    Anonymous

• classes? probably none, as there's no particular set of classes that every school uses. i love sports as much as the next RAZORBACK/CARDINALS fan, but most of the money (presently budgeted and taxed for future school spending) goes to the sports-programming (public schools). that's completely insane. when a high school football coach makes as much as my pharmacist/owner-dh makes, and the English or Math teacher only makes a third of that salary..says a lot about why our schools are on the lower end of education/testing.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I hate sports, that's always the first thing I want to cut too - BUT, sports bring in a large amount of income for the schools, at least here they do. Ticket sales, tee shirts, fundraisers, donations (we have more than one pro-player as alumni here) and so on...

To me, I find it hard to pick anything. I would say cut things like a librarian (use teachers instead). And cut programs like Latin (although I'd hate to see it go) or Tennis that only have 4 or 5 students involved. Other than that I would say things like woodshop, Drafting, Metal shop - those kids can go to VoTech if they want to. And then I would cut classes like typing, since you really don't need a class for this. And if you have two classes which are really similar (we had Multimedia and Web Development which were virtually identical right down to the same assignments) I would combine them. Also, combine things like family & baby and Health.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• sports
    bussing
    technology is important but with budget issues it has to go too.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• id combine first. we had 3 different mythology classes at my high school and while you wouldnt get as in-depth students would be able to know if its something they're interested in or not. we also had 3 drama classes, 7 art classes, 4 choir classes, and about 20 PE classes (each sport had its only class, but it wasnt the sports team for the school). that would be a really easy cut back.

if it required more than that i would cut things back to the basics. but i would do my best to leave at least one to two class in each area. whats a high school without music, art, and foreign language...i learned WAY more about life from those classes than the English/Math/Science i had to take.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• AmaliaD - I'm curious as to how students are supposed to get to school without buses?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• We could cut admin SALARIES for one. We could also cut some of the admin jobs, for I personally find many of them POINTLESS. They make a LOT OF $$, out here anyway. I am cool with cutting some of the sports programs over cutting Art, Music, and Gym. Keep the sports as long as PARENTS pay for it, if they want their kid in it. The tax dollars shouldn't imo (WHEN DEALING WITH FINANCIAL CRISIS).
    Anonymous

• Wow!! That is a hard one since most classes impact students for one reason or another.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 7, 2011