First responders- emt's please.

When you get a call in for someone who had a stroke & they have soiled on themselves (#2) do you tell them to clean the patient before you will transport?

My husbands granny had a stroke last night & that is the story the famly is giving us on why it took the ambulance an hour to get there.

Mrs_Harsh

Asked by Mrs_Harsh at 1:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Health

• I gave birth to my son at around 3am in the morning in our tiny apartment bathroom.. the emt certainly did not ask us to be clean up.. they helped my on the stretcher and took me as I was after they cut the cord. I'm sure I was smelly and bloody down there and left the place for my poor husband to clean up. XD
    Reirn

Answer by Reirn at 1:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Id be complaining to that places management. Minutes COUNT when you have a heart attack or stroke. You CANT demand the patient be cleaned up before you will transport!! WTF is wrong with that EMT or paramedic!!! They NEED to loose their job thats for sure.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• The person is transported ASAP, regardless of whether they soiled themselves or are full of blood after a car wreck or whatever. Sounds fishy to me.
    Anonymous

• Sounds off to me as well.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Nope. DH was a volunteer EMT for a while in our town and actually had that situation with one person (no, he didn't tell me about it, it was BIL's FIL so SIL told me about it - DH didn't break the rules) and that's a big fat no. How would they even know? Why would the person calling 911 even tell dispatch that the patient soiled themself? They are trying to brush it off or something - either they were neglecting the granny and didn't dare call til they cleaned her up, or they didn't feel they needed to call right away, or something. Because they wouldn't say "granny pooped herself" and dispatch wouldn't say "clean her up before we come". No way. Call the family's bluff.
    Anonymous

• no, once they are stable you worry about how clean they are....
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Im definitly going to. Because *I* know better. They are liars and pissing me off. The whole reason we havent went up yet is because my husband knows i will question and fight with all of them.
    Mrs_Harsh

Comment by Mrs_Harsh (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2011