Help me make a decision, please?

Okay stupid question maybe... but y'all are keepers of the bills too.... so give me your thoughts.

I live in a VERY rural area... I have to rely on satellite for both television and internet (which as you can imagine go out when the weather gets bad - which happens often enough). My cell phone service at my house SUCKS so, so, so bad (I'm talking horrible. I'm lucky to get one bar and have constant dropped calls, missed calls, delayed texts, get voice mails without ever having had the phone ring to begin with, everyone tells me constantly that I'm breaking up BAD when they talk to me, etc. SOOOO I've thought that maybe I should have a house phone installed.
You'd think that would be a no-brainer -- EXCEPT THAT --

ALL (and I mean 99% or more) of my calls would ALL be long distance. I only have ONE choice for a home phone - AT&T (ye ole Ma Bell)... They want $300 deposit, PLUS I have to pay for the extra package to be able to call local towns nearby me, PLUS their only "unlimited long distance" offered in my area is $99 a month!! So I'm looking at $50 for the basic package, another $15 for the expanded service, $99 for long distance - and none of that includes taxes, etc. PLUS I won't be getting rid of my cell phone for obvious reason.

So, I'll have my normal cell bill $75, then a home phone bill of $165+ - well over $200 a month just to have phone service. Plus I have the phone service in my truck (it's only$10 a month for unlimited calls - but who wants to sit in their truck for ALL of their calls - and I have no way of tapping into that service to use it outside of the truck - that I know of) - it's an OnStar service.
I found out that I can use Vonage with my HughesNet Internet - BUT I don't have a home phone # to use .... so I'm still screwed there. Plus I wouldn't have that phone service during bad weather either - and it has the same "breaking up" problem that I already have with my cell service. (there's a reason why satellite phones aren't the 'norm')

I kinda need the house phone because the cell service at my house sucks SOOOOO bad --- but dang!? And then the money

I can't decide what to do. Would you bite the bullet and damn near triple your bill for phone service(s).... or just keep putting up with the suck-y cell service?

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 1:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• have you tried to change your cell phone service
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 1:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• They want a $300 deposit because your credit is bad OR you have unpaid bills and a history of no or slow pay on your credit. I didnt have to give AT&T a dime to get my land line or DSL. You can however get internet and then buy Magic Jack that works like Vonage over the internet and it's only 19.95 a year.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It really just depends on how badly I needed the service. I would only pay for the extra service if it were imperetive in some fashion or the other. Such examples would be caring for an elderly or sickly family memeber where phone service could mean life or death,have a school age child with behavior problems and need to be reachable at all times during school hours,are on call for work or rely on phone do do most of your business. Other than that I would accept that my service sucks and make everyone else aware of the fact as well.
    thecoffeefairy

Answer by thecoffeefairy at 1:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• A very helpful answer thecoffeefairy thank you, I think you might be right. While I don't have any of those situations, I do have a husband who works out of town a lot, and when he's in town, he works around the clock; being unreachable to him seems like a reason enough to warrant the stupid land line (which I haven't had since 2001) ... kudos for addressing the actual question and not making assumptions or going off on a judgmental tangent about my credit score. LOL
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 1:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I just went thru this but I got to use frontier. I have only had my home phone for 3 days but I am thrilled to have it. I felt isolated by not being able to talk on the phone and no one stops by because we live too far out. Fro me it was important..but not $165 important. Are you sure youc ant get frontier? its the new verizon.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Never heard of Frontier... I'll check into that now. Thanks.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If the cell phone service stinks that badly, I'd dump it. Go to something cheap and simple for when you're out of the bad zone; you can get service as cheaply as $25/month. But check your current contract to make sure you're not within the time period to be stung with early termination fees.

Vonage or other VOIP services won't help if your internet has a habit of going out. But you also need to figure out whether landline service is reliable. Are the wires above ground? If so, then you might be no better off with a landline in stormy weather.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Verizon sold out to Frontier on all land lines. I called and asked for a special and i got unlimited local and long distance for $29.95/month. No caller Id or anything but still I can talk to people!! It is a huge relief!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yep, I think that's gonna be part of the problem... this house has never had a land line, and according to AT&T new (overhead) lines will have to be run _AND there's question about rather or not we will have to pay any, all or just part of that installation.
    My cell phone works fine when I get into town.... 3Plus bars.... but that don't really help being 6 miles into the woods. It's not that I can't afford the $ -- I just am asking myself if it would constitute waste, ya know.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Go buy a cell phone signal booster.
    If you want a landline, look into seperate long distance carriers. A couple years ago I found a site that compared the ones that were available in my area. Just google long distance carriers.
    We have a land line and dial-up. We are paying for a cable to be ran up our driveway ($1200) because DH's work needs him to be able to get online, and satellite isn't fast enough.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2011