Anyone familiar with tricare?

Went to make my 20 week ultrasound appt. And they let me know they will not look for gender at that point. They will schedule a second ultrasound at 24 weeks for that. Their reasoning behind it is because it takes too long to look for it? It will be done at a military hospital, but my question is will I have to pay for the second ultrasound myself? I know when they did a second ultrasound with my first daughter (different hospital) I had to pay for it.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• Hmmm, that seems odd. When I had mine done, they did the gender at the 20 week u/s. With DS2, they couldn't determine the gender at the u/s and they said that they wouldn't be doing another to u/s unless it was medically necessary (I had to go to the radiology department for that u/s). However, they did tell me that I could ask my doctor in OB at my next checkup if he would do an u/s for me to check, but that was completely up to the doc. This was at a military hospital and my DS2 is only 6 months old. You could call TriCare and ask if they are going to charge you.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i am

You may have to pay for it. The only way tricare pays for ultrasounds is if its necessary. They are just nice and throw in that 20 week one in for free.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• you shouldn't have to pay for it if you are having it done at a military hospital. Tricare covers 100% of everything when using a military facility, atleast that was the case when my DH was in the navy 4 years ago.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• really dont know, I would call tricare.....is it really that important that you know the gender?
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 1:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Not really that important, but would like to know. if I am having a boy I truly have not a whole lot. I have 2 daughters and only bought things for girls, stupid me, lol. I was just confused because I have never had to have 2 seperate ultrasounds to find out gender. With my girls it literally took 2 seconds to find the gender.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• why is it going to take 2 ultrasounds? That doesnt make sense when I had my down at 20 weeks They were able to tell me it was a boy right away. I have tricare as well.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• That's what I said mommy_of_two...it doesn't make sense and tricare has to fork out the money for that if I don't have to pay for it. Makes no sense to me...they are a little weird where I live I guess.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2011