Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Tax question for babysitting

I babysit some children and they pay me. I provide lunch and snacks. I have had to purchase a highchair and some other toys and materials for the children. Now everyday we eat different meals. For tax expense purposes, would it be ok to just state that lunch everyday and snacks I charge a certain amount and mark that on a calendar and keep receipts or would it better to list on a calendar every single item we ate and break down what it would cost and keep receipts? Would the first one be acceptable?


Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Are you asking about what to charge the parent for expenses? Or what you can claim as expenses on your income tax?

    Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

  • You have to be licensed for daycare and pay taxes on the income you get in order to claim it or expenses on taxes. Call your tax preparer and ask them.

    Answer by vbruno at 1:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

  • No i did taxes and you can do a schedule C or add is as extra income. Any income you get you are supposed to claim to certain degrees. All the person who pays you needs is your social security number to claim you and get a tax credit.
    Yes DragonRiderMD I am talking about expenses. Just trying to figure out what the best way to do it would be.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

  • you need to be licensed for legal purposes and in case of an audit, just fyi
    I prepare taxes and I see this a lot, unlicensed care takers, smh, could get you owing a lot of money
    any who
    There is a standard lunch deduction that the irs has made for deducting childcare lunches, look t up in the pub 17. Other than that everthing else is treated like a business.

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:32 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • Keep your receipts. Track your income and expenses on a spreadsheet (or, even better, in accounting software).

    You should be making estimated quarterly tax payments, or you will get hit with a lot of penalties and interest.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • Ok..I have the answers. No I do not have to be licensed. It states on page 34 of pub 17 that basically anyone who babysits must claim the income and use a schedule C..or the other forms listed there. I did call to confirm what I already knew where I used to work and they said I just have to give the person my social and he can claim me as the childcare provider whether I am licensed or not as long as he is working. So as far as my expenses the best thing to do is to purchase the food and toys..just anything I get to care for the children I watch separately from my families and keep those receipts with the schedule C I will do next yr. Dah..! My expenses will reduce the amount of taxable income at the end of the yr and we do not really need to pay quarterly taxes....I do not make that much money. :) thanks everyone for your responses.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2011