How is it where you live?

I have ALWAYS lived in California, how is it in other states? How do you think your state and way of life differs from California? I like the fact that I am 20 miles or less from Hollywood, the desert, mountains and beach, I am 2 hours from the border of Mexico! I still have a dream of living somewhere in this country where there is snow and bears. Where do you live? oh and give interesting info!

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 5:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Just for Fun

• CONTINUED!!
    I live on an Island called Oak Harbor. It's in view of the mainland and connected to it by two long bridges. From my house I have a view of the ocean. We have amazing sunsets here!! The Seattle Space Needle is AMAZING. The restaurant at the top is overpriced but the food is pretty good. The whole top rotates slowly and it has a wonderful view of Mt. Rainier. Mt. Rainier is america's most dangerous volcano but it hasn't shown any sign of impending eruptions!! It's soooo pretty and great here. LOL
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 6:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Well I USED to live in cali. I now live in Washington! In cali it was always SOOO hot on my birthday which is May 25th. Last year it snowed on my birthday!!! In the summer time we have a few really warm days and then it's around the 70's-low 80's. It's forever green here unlike cali which dries up in the summer. Here, they have these big tractors that mow the side of the roads. I thought that was cool since in Cali they just burn it cuz it's dry grass.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Damn Marlye! Sign me up!!!!!lol that was cool , I felt like I was there for a moment and then I am here! Oh well...........keep answering as I go to bed in my dried up california! j/k.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 6:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• If you love coffee then you'd love it here! Oak Harbor isn't that big, but we have about 3-5 Starbucks Coffee shops! Since there is a naval base there is always sweet men in uniform all over! I'm a happily married woman but I love me some men in uniform. LOL. Everywhere you turn around there is a gorgeous scene to be photographed..... Wildlife is really in abundence. At our house we have, deer, foxes, eagles, raccoons, and all sorts of other critters right in our back yard! Chipmunks sit in the trees and drop pinecones on you. Hee hee! There's the festival of tulips where there are fields upon fields of tulips planted so it lookes like a giant rainbow growing! There are little family own businesses all over. On the way of the island there is a little pumpkin patch with a building on it filled with homemade goods like butter, spaghetti sauce, apple butter, pies and lots of other great stuff.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 6:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Hi there. I live in Connecticut. We gets lots of snow. From what my hubby says we do have some black bears also. I live right on the beach. It is beautiful during the summer. I can see the beach practically from my back yard. We get lots and lots of snow during the winter. As I am speaking its starting to snow for the first time. I am very excited. I am ready to take the boys sledding. Its cold, and I wish it were summer.
    Reggie2

Answer by Reggie2 at 8:07 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• We live in NE Ohio, where the weather changes one minute to the next and we don't have serious snow until Jan-Feb. We have the "mud season" for christmas (Yeah!). It's not too bad, just very cloudy almost all the time. We live near an old army weapons arsenal, found out it was put here specifically because there is only 32 clear days a year on average and it is hard to spot from overhead! and yes we're all depressed..... j/k. but the weather truly bites. I used to live in Houston, TX and my god I wish I could get DH to agree to move back there!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:30 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• You live in such a prime spot. I would LOVE to join you. LOL.

Our little town has very little compared to that but it's nice. I live in Monroe, Michigan. What I like about it is it has a small town feel but the conveniences of the big stores are close by. It's 20 min's to Toledo, OH which is filled with theaters, art and science museums, and a big shopping mall, and many "unique" stores. I'm 35 min's from my mom. We're also very close to some beaches. It's not the ocean but it's still nice and the kids can go swimming and have a great time and it doesn't cost a lot of money.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:04 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Toledo, Ohio here! It is cold and they are predicting snow tonight, No bears that I am aware of but if you go North into Michigan they have them there. We are originally from Ottawa Lake MI which is right over the border. Toledo has one of the best zoos in the country as well as an amazing art museum. We are home of Danny Thomas, Jamie Farr, and Katie Holmes. As far as beautiful landscape goes well there is the Maumee River which begins in Fort Wayne Indiana and dumps out into Lake Erie. We have some pretty beaches near by but you have to drive some to get to them. Near by are some historic sites such as where the Battle of Fallen Timbers took place and Fort Meigs. We enjoy 3A Mud Hens baseball here and of course Tony Packo's hot dogs. Oh and last but never least we are the home of Jeep!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Wow Gigi, I lived in California from the time I was 2 months old until 5 months ago, a total of over 31 years! I loved growing up 10 minutes from Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm. I thought it was great, as a kid. As a grown up, I hated everything about it. Too many people, bad drivers, everything so darn expensive, etc . . .
    We visited Washington state, as a possible alternative. It is SO beautiful there. Everything is so green and smells so much better. It's freakin' cold though and just as expensive as CA. Same goes for Colorado.
    We moved to Oklahoma in June of this year. It's not nearly as crowded. The people are nicer. The cost of living is much less. I'm very happy here.
    You are missing out by staying only in CA.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2008