Help, I have a screamer.......

Ok, I have a 3yo and 9 mo old twins. The twins are teething (no teeth yet) and one has become so grumpy that he screams incessantly every time we put him down (day & night)! I can't just hold him all day, but the screaming/crying is driving me insane. I've let him cry for up to 45 min (talking to him, giving him his paci, toys, etc, periodically just not picking him up). I can't seem to break this cycle. What should I try?

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 2:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• uumm are you the only one that cares from them? I think they need time away from mom first so they can learn to trust you will come back, second so you don't lose your mind.. try medicine for the teeth.. then start a routine where once a day they play in a play pin or a safe room with a gate in front start by having them in there 2 min, then 5, once they are 1 they should be able to play on their own for 10 min..also instead of picking them up maybe you can sit on the floor or couch to hold them but I agree you can't hold them all day.. the whole point of them learning to play on their own is so you can get stuff done.. I agree time out start around 2-3 years old & only if they misbehave.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• ugh.. I'm sorry mommy.. *hugs* teething BLOWS
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Have you taken him to the Dr to makesure thats all it is?
    thecoffeefairy

Answer by thecoffeefairy at 2:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• First check with the peditrician and make sure nothing else is going on. My daughter was an ear infection queen but she only showed signs when it was to the point where the doctors where like omg, she has a horrible ear infection...

If all is good, try to refocus her and if not time out.Tell her when you are done crying we can do this or that, or something. When she is calm talk to her.... Repitition is the only way.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• He doesn't cry at all if he's being held, so I don't think he's sick.......
    Kimedbs

Comment by Kimedbs (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Uhhh.... Thanks KFRee907, but he's only 9 months old, so timeout is not an option.
    Kimedbs

Comment by Kimedbs (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• there is medication out there for this problem. You can get some at Walmart. Or go ask the doc. I would suggest tylonol and motrin. But don't rely on them.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 2:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2011