Any one have kids who have trouble learning multiplication & division? Advice?

My 9 yr old son has auditory and visual processing disorder. He has the attention span (when it comes to homework) of a bug. He's not supposed to be made to do homework for more than 45 minutes at a time and needs frequent breaks during that time frame.
He's in 3rd grade and learning multiplication. He has mastered the 1x's table. That's it. I am frustrated and clueless on how to get this child to memorize these facts which he seems mentally unable to do.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 2:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Make it a game. there are cards for these...

Answer by older at 2:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes, we have the cards. And we finger paint on the sliding glass door, and we use shaving cream on the table to write in....
    All the great suggestions that I have gotten from teachers that don't work.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Make it a game, let him earn something do one set a night, 2's then review the night before 1s and 2s....

If you don't find a way to make it fun for him then he won't want to learn.... It obviously bores him, like most kids.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes, a reward might be a good incentive...

Answer by older at 2:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• The problem with learning how to do multiplication and division is that there is no way to learn it - it is based on memorization only. My son struggled with this too; in fact, it was easier and quicker for him to calculate 6+6+6+6+6=30 than to memorize 6x5=30. Nothing else ever worked.
    Anonymous

• There is a website that helped my son so much.It is www.math.com.......They explain math in an easy way.And have math games too.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My DD has dittys that she says. The teacher gave her some stuff. It works.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I didn't finish reading beforeI posted sorry. I have a son in the same boat. He isn't learning his times tables yet. He is unable to learn them He is stil workingon adding and subtracting. I am sorry I feel for you and your son. Maybe letting him see them visually with like 6 flowers or legos and you do that like 5 times with 6 so he can visualize it. and the end result is the answer. Im sorry I don't know what I am going to do when I get to that point. My son is 10 and still doign addign and subtracting so I don't know when he will get to the tables. Your son sounds like a smart cookie tho. Otherwise he wouldn't know his ones. My son still gets confused. Ithought I would start teaching him those since they are easy.
    Try google too.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• my daughter has aspergers and had a really hard time learning her times tables..what helped her was flash cards and the schoolhouse rock series...you can still get them on dvd and they are great....the songs stick and help so much...she even had to memorize the preamble for her history class and again it was a song that helped her there too...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Schoolhouse Rock? That sounds very promising as he's very musically inclined. Thank you.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2011