What's it like getting an episiotomy? adult content

I tore with my first child, and had stitches so it's scar tissue down there. My doctor said more than likely I'll have to have an episiotomy since the scar tissue doesn't stretch enough. I've asked people I know, but they all had epidurals or some form of pain medication when it was done so they can't really tell me. I plan to go all natural with my labor and delivery yet again so yeah. How does the procedure go and what does it feel like?

amisavagee

Asked by amisavagee at 2:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had one but I did have an epidural. But, by the time my child was born, the epidural had worn off & I still needed stitches so the Dr. gave me a shot to dull the pain & I didn't even feel the stitches being done. So they can still give you a local injection to dull the pain.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You don't feel it. There is so much going on. they don't stop and say "I'm going to cut you now". They just do it in the midst of labor. You won't even know.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I had one with my first, and at that point in the birth, I couldn't feel it. I thought he might have used a local anaesthetic, but then when the birth was over and he was stitching me up, he gave me locals and I could feel them. So I guess not.

I tore pretty badly with that too (both in the direction of the episiotomy and in the other- they were going to vacuum or C-section and I pushed REALLY hard really fast!) and with my 2nd, tore less, and my 3rd, tore less again. So I think they are warning you, but there's a good chance you won't do too badly.

BTW, I've heard most doctors avoid the episiotomy these days, and let you tear naturally, and that natural tears heal better and faster. The reason I had one was that they needed to get the vacuum on, and they can't rely on tearing for that.

Good luck! Oh, and I have no problem going natural for the delivery and having a local for stitches after, which doesn't affect the baby.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I know what the after part will feel like, since I tore last time I had stitches. And it wasn't that bad. It's more the cutting part I'm wondering about haha. And it's not really pain I'm worried about, it doesn't bother me. I just like knowing what to expect I guess?
    amisavagee

Comment by amisavagee (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I didn't even get the local for the stitches when I tore last time, it didn't bother me. I don't have an IV in labor either. I pretty much go as natural as you can go short of sitting in a field naked haha.
    amisavagee

Comment by amisavagee (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I had one with my first child. Epidural's (all 3) failed and I felt everything. I don't want to scare you so I will put this note on it before I tell you anything else.... I'm alive, my child was born with no problems and women have been giving birth for thousands of years before these medicines and procedures were ever found or performed. That being said, I've never experience a pain like child birth in my life... granted I'm 5'1 and was 130lbs full blown pregnant at the time giving natural birth to a 9 lb baby, not comfy. I literally felt like I was being ripped in half and then they cut me, I screamed so loud the entire maternity ward came i to make sure I was not being mistreated or dying. Turns out I was dying and losing a lot of blood, my son came out and I couldn't hold him because I passed out... BUT I am here and so is he and he's 8 years old.
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• What is the difference between a scar from one vs the other stretching/not stretching?

How about aim for an intact perineum?
    That's what I did after my bad tear.
    My baby was bigger (10-pounds) and no tearing.
    Worth doing, imo!
    ;-)
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Oh trust me I know Vanessa how bad natural childbirth is! I had a crazy labor and delivery myself (didn't almost die but still not the best feeling in the world haha) but that's a whole different subject.
    Basically, I am aiming for no cutting, it's definitely my preference. I just wanna be prepared for if it does happen. My doctor said it's not a for sure thing but he thinks I may need one if I don't stretch enough due to the scar tissue not stretching enough (I had a big headed baby last time, they're expecting the same this time), so I guess he thinks I'll tear worse or something? I'm not really sure. I don't question the doctor's reasoning, I just put my trust in them. He delivered my son, and he's been a great doctor to me.
    amisavagee

Comment by amisavagee (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• HOW you labor will be the biggest factor.
    If you prefer not to tear *or* get cut then labor intuitively.
    There are things you can do to help.

(But not questioning your doctor really closes the door to a lot of options.)
    You might like to learn more about episiotomy, research it some.
    It might be interesting to learn that it's outdated and not really helpful, even dangerous.

If you prefer an intact perineum then you can plan for that instead!
    ;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Well, like I said, it's the plan to NOT get cut or tear. I would prefer for things to stay intact. But I trust if the doctor is doing the procedure if the time comes, then he's probably doing the right thing.
    amisavagee

Comment by amisavagee (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2011