Why should I have to pay ?

i have a 'friend ( she is actually my cousins sister in law ) and somtimes we would hang out ( maybe like once every couple of months) but sometimes we would text or talk on facebook -- things like that.

I found out I was having a little girl, I already have a son, and I kept all of his baby things because we knew we were going to have more. Most of his big baby things ( like playsets, high chair, swing, etc) are all green and very gender neutral, so of course I planned on using them for our little girl as well.

One day when she came over to visit and i was showing her the nursery and some of the outfits and things we had already got. She said she had alot of pink things that were like new that I could have because she was just going to get rid of them anyways ( she has a 3 year old daughter, and since her and her fiance broke up she had to move out and wouldnt have enough room to save the things) ...

Of course since the things were free , clean and pink, I thought why not... I sent my husband over to pick the things up and I was excited because it all was very cute ....

2 weeeks later i got a text from her wanting to know if i could pay her for those things... I texted back and said I didnt know you wanted payed... and she said she was just thinking about it and now she would like to have a little money for them now...

I was very annoyed but my husband said to just tell her we will give her $50 so she would drop it... So i told her that and she wrote back " uh I was thinking more like $250 - $300 ) ...

I think that is crazy because I could have gotten everything she gave me BRAND NEW for less than that.

So i was dissapointed because obviosuly we just said we will give it all back and not mess with her ( she has been known to cause drama but of course we didnt think she would this way with us) ... I packed everything back up and my husband said since I liked the pink stuff better we would just go buy them brand new and forget about this...

So now she is throwing an even bigger fit over this and still thinks I need to pay her even though i told her she can have everything back and she refuses to come get the things saying we need to pay for them....

I seriously thinks she needs medicated or soemthing !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Just take them to her and be done with it, she sounds looney! If she wanted money she should have said something at the beginning.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 2:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• How tacky of her. I would send an email or call and say we are droping off the stuff at whatever time and if you arent there we are leaving them on the door step. I wouldnt want that stuff in my house at this point.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• She's not too bright, if she took that to once upon a child, they'd maybe give her $5 for it. That was manipulative on her part.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• No you should not have to pay. Just tell her it was a misunderstanding and when she said you can have them you thought she meant you could have them but at $250 you would prefer new stuff or using your stuff you already had. Ask her when she can pick the stuff up. Give her a few weeks and see if she makes arrangements. make sure you send it in an email and keep a copy of all correspondence.

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You shouldn't, you don't. Just give it all back and be done with her!

Answer by missanc at 2:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Return the things to her. Set them on her doorstep when she is gone if need be with a simple I am sorry for the misunderstanding note and end communications. You certainly do not need the stress while pregnant.

thecoffeefairy

Answer by thecoffeefairy at 2:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Sounds like she's hard up for cash and doesn't want to admit it. Take the stuff over and drop it off and be done with it. An expectant Mama doesn't need drama.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 2:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• she gave them to you before she wanted money, that is just crazy she wants money for them after the fact!! she should have thought about it before!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 2:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Either she accepts $50.00 for the stuff or she takes it back. You don't pay for "gifts" that were given freely. I would think any court would agree that it was given as a gift. Hopefully lawyers aren't needed. Tell her you refuse to pay for what she told you was a gift. She either accepts your original offer or she takes her stuff back because you don't want it and can't afford it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would sit them on her doorstep and say thanks anyways. Try to be the bigger person and stay calm. Women like this thrive on drama so don't give her anything to go on.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2011