My son has a rash - Peds are giving me all different advice....

It started as what one Ped told me was an allergic reaction to a med he was taking for a sinus infection, put him on another one, the rash got better but the sinus infection got worse,. went to another Ped who said it was NOT a reaction since it was only on his chest and not everywhere, he put him back on the Med, the rash came back, put him on another one, rash didn't go away - told me to put him on benadryl until the Medication was done, ok. did that - the rash started to go away after a week of being off meds.. but then came back - Went to the DR again who said it was his bodies way of fighting off illness and to try Zyrtec, so far its been 3 weeks and different oatmeal baths, lotions and NOTHING is working.. if you add up the co pays and medication and treatment, its about at $300 in 10 weeks now and still a terrible rash - what would you do?? 3 different Dr's and still not better??

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree. In my experience, specialists always know more than the GP or Peds. My son has had a heart murmur and the Ped said it was nothing. Well we did some more checking and he saw a cardiologist. Turns out he also has pulmonary hypertension. Not such a "nothing" murmur, now is it? Plus if the hole in the ventricle doesn't close by age 5 or 6, he'll need surgery to stitch it closed. Glad we found out NOW instead of when he's in high school and he could DIE from it!! Rant over. You're doing the right thing for your son.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Have you considered a dermatologist? I know he's little but they tend to be a bit more educated on skin and skin diseases.
    I ended up taking my oldest to a dermatologist at 2yrs old after the freaking doctor's couldn't figure out what the rash was...dermatologist diagnosed in 5 minutes - it was eczma (freaking waste of my time...wish I'd just taken him to the dermatologist in the first place)
    Any skin issues now I go right to our dermatologist.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• BTW. It looks like 3 small "hot spots" that are nickel sized otherwise its like skin colored bumps.. nothing like the eczema he got as an infant from dairy/milk before we found out he was intolerant.. but when they get itched of course now/then they get raised red and irritated.
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Oh yeah, he's 3-1/2 - lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Skin allergy to a lotion, cream, soap? Possible food allergy?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'd be for raising some hell at that clinic about now. Something along the lines of: Stop wasting my money and help my baby!!!! Y'all need to pull your heads out of your fifth points of contact and FIX this!

But I don't tolerate stupid (by my scale) very well.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes, that is actually the APPT I made for tomorrow - I am so fed up and didn't want to waste any more money either.. thanks
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I hope they can tell you what's going on your little guy so he gets better! Good luck. :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011