Do you think Wisconsin teachers are getting a raw deal?

Seems like a hard enough job to me, but add insult to injury - slashing collective bargaining gains ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42306729/ns/business-us_business/

But that love of being in the classroom has recently been overshadowed by what's going on outside the classroom: A sweeping state effort to cut collective bargaining rights of teachers and other unionized government workers in her home state of Wisconsin. It's a potentially drastic change that has left her uneasy about everything from shrinking pay checks to swelling class sizes.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• We have a lot of education issues in Illinois as well. Teachers aren't given the credit that MOST of them are due. Go figure, it is a government job.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes, once again teachers get S*** ON. UNLESS you TEACH, you really cannot understand how bad this can be for those teachers in WI. Our unions are not just about getting us pay raises every year. There is SO MUCH MORE TO IT.

***
    I'm a special education teacher in PA, and I HOPE what happened in WI, happens here as well!! I have no problem with getting rid of collective bargaining rights, forced union membership and merit based pay increases!! The ONLY thing the union has done for me is mail me a gazillion fliers with "vote Democrat" all over them, phone calls telling me to "vote Democrat," and taking a percentage of my paycheck, because they CAN, not because I said they could!

If people WANT to join a union they should have the OPTION! If being a member of the union is the "be all, end all," don;t you think EVERYONE will want to join?! Hmmmm...left to the choice of the individual, I believe MOST unions would go belly up!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• No they are not getting a raw deal.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• A lot of issues in Florida as well, instead of cutting in places were $ can be cut, they are short changing our future generations, very sad.......

Answer by older at 2:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes, once again teachers get SHIT ON. UNLESS you TEACH, you really cannot understand how bad this can be for those teachers in WI. Our unions are not just about getting us pay raises every year. There is SO MUCH MORE TO IT.

Anonymous

• I don't think it is a simple yes or no answer. IMO, collective bargaining is not a right, and they were offered collective bargaining but with a cap, they said no. If my tax dollars are going to go anywhere I want them to go to teachers and protection (fire/police/etc) but if the monies aren't there it is just the way it has to be. My household income dropped 30% last year, that is just what the new normal is in today's economy.
    I live right on the Wis/Ill state-line and work in academia (university) spent a few weeks with Wis public workers and really got an earful, but it didn't change my opinion that collective bargaining and state paid pensions are a privilege not a right. Unfortunately privileges are not guaranteed to be kept forever, nor are any expired contractual privileges.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 3:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes, I do. I think that while the unions need overhauling, they are the pet project of this govenor, and he is not willing to do a whole lot with them.

There is a middle ground. I think when you take an extreme POV, as this gov has - IMPO - then it goes all to pot. People don't want to cooperate when they are told Black or White, these are your choices, and if you don't take my offer, there is nothing else.

I also think that the teacher in the article who has her Masters and isn't making more than 40 a year - that in and of itself is shameful. Way to invest in teaching our kids. If their lack of pay is made up in other benefits, I don't see that as bad.

While the unions need to be overhauled badly - this is not the way to do it.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 5:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• YES they ARE! ANd education has been put on the back burner and UNDERVALUED lately. WHat a shame.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• No.
    Anonymous

• No. I don't think they are getting a raw deal... Federal Unions are unable to collectively bargain, are they getting a "raw deal"? No.. Neither are teachers.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2011