He Quit Nursing!!

My DS had his 2 month shots on Nov 12th and Hasn't nursed since.... I tried laying in bed and offering it to him but he would BITE me and get so so mad he was screaming for an hr and still just refused... and i tried everyday for 2 wks... Im still trying to pump but its getting low... anyone else had this happen?? was it because of the shots??? Help please

apeclark2008

Asked by apeclark2008 at 6:30 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try nipple shields!! They will help with getting him used to bein back on ur breast AND they will save ur poor nipples! They are basically like bigger plastic nipples that you put on your nipples. I used those for almost 2 months while tryin to get my son latched on to me and they are AWESOME! Let me know if that works for ya (if you decide to try em)..
    AvrysMommy

Answer by AvrysMommy at 10:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• When did you start with bottles because this sounds like a classic case of nipple confusion?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My son did the same thing, only he was about 3 and a half months. It wasn't after shots, but more because my grandma came into town for a week and he got more bottles then he usually would. When she left he REFUSED TO NURSE! I was so upset because it took me over 2 months to get him latched on right and actually doin it right. I got so frustrated that by 4 months he was getting all bottles and mostly formula, bc the pump just didn't do it for me, I think the stress of it also added to my depleting milk supply. So now he is 5 months and getting all formula. And honestly, I really regret that I gave up on bf when I did. I miss it so much! So, you need to do what u think is right, but just remember that you may regret it if you give up on it now, I know I did!
    Good luck!
    AvrysMommy

Answer by AvrysMommy at 10:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I would just keep trying... and also make it harder to bottle feed for him so he don't like it as much... try a slow-flow nipple. I don't know if they sell the kind you need for your bottle in stores... but they would be slower than a newborn one even.
    And when he is hungry you could try to nurse... if he thinks he is starving give a little of his bottle to calm him down and then try to nurse again.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• ok one... Ive Suppimented since he was in the hospital... and NEVER had a problem til he had his shots!! But that night he wouldn't nurse so i chalked it up to him being sore and it hurting to be that close to me... but the next day he started the biting thing... and no he doesn't have teeth but MAN IT HURT!!! it brought me to tears a few times and i would try giving him a little bottle to calm him down then trying to swich to the Breast and he would get really really mad if i even put it in him mouth! he wouldn't even start to suck!!! And It got to the point that my nipples were blood red... I couldn't take it any more... is there anything else i can try???
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 30, 2008