Daughters boyfriend broke up with her 3 hours before prom. Should I ask for reimbursement?

My daughters bf of 1 yr and I might add was very close to our family, decided 3 hours before her senior prom he needed "time". And now is talking to his ex. She was in a ball one the floor crying all night long. Dress was altered. Long story but should I ask for reimbursement from his less than wonderful parents? and if I ask and they don't do I have any ground to stand on??

Let me just go a bit further.  No limo, so ok. Dress $300 alterations $80 and tickets total for 2 $65.00.  No tux for our senior prom (strange but true) they were suits which he had.  I had to buy him a tie (long story)  so I am ot $445

A few of you are telling her to go...  he broke up with her while she was dressed and ready to go!!!  3 HOURS BEFORE!!

lifesparks

Asked by lifesparks at 2:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Unfortunately as difficult as this is, I don't think you should do anything. If your daughter had broken up with him, would you pay for his tux? That's just the risk of teen relationships, and even adult relationships. Just be there for your daughter and give her plenty of hugs.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't, his parent's probably spent money on stuff for him too (limo? tux? corsage....ect) just focus on your daughter and set a good example by not being vengeful.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• You can always ask, just to make a point, but, legally, you do not have a case . . . .

It is more ethical. It is terrible to wait until a moment like that . . . . who does that?

I am sorry you guys had to go through that.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Nope I think if you say anything then your daughter will be upset about the money you spent and feel guilty on top of her hurt. Just console your daughter and tell her it just proves he didnt deserve her anyway. You can sell the dress on craigslist or a consignment shop and use the money to do something fun with your dd.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Lucky he didn't leave her at the alter, then you are really talking $. To ask for money over this is a joke. You will look like a money grubber. What are you going to do, take the family to small claims court? LOL! Filing a claim will cost you more $.
    Anonymous

• I don't think there is any legal recourse for this, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't ask. Poor girl.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm thinking your daughter is going through a tough enough time right now that asking for $50 (that was how much two tickets cost at mine anyway) and then risking a big fight isnt going to do her any good. And you don't want her to be bitter about even more things. I would personally just drop it.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't ask.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Reimbursement for what? Her dress? She can still go with a group of friends. Why would she miss it? Tell her to go & have a good time or she'll regret it later.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2011