So i just heard that corporal (sp?) punishment is still legal in half of the country?? teachers are still hitting kids in some schools and its ok.... ?? really???

how do you feel about this?

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• They do not do that in the school district we live in. I do not think that is allowed in the state of Maine.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• well I'm in FL and it's certainly not legal here. I was watching "the talk" and they showed the map of where it IS legal.... it was HALF the country. teachers can't get control in many classrooms and I think it's thier own fault. MAKE the kids respect you - and parents teach your children to respect thier techers as well.... If a teacher hit my child however..... I would have a big issue. Apparently a teacher taped a childs mouth shut for not stopping talking... I believe the child was about 7..? not sure though...
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I have mixed feelings about the subect. I disagree with spanking but I have seen some out of control children who need some form of discipline from someone. We need to come up with a reasonable way to get through to these troubled children,so they have a chance of growing into a respectable adult.
    thecoffeefairy

Answer by thecoffeefairy at 2:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Those teachers need to have charges pressed against them.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If my child was being disrespectful in school I would not have a problem with a pop on the backside, but I would prefer to do it at home. I think if more parents would instill respect for adults and each other, the schools wouldn't have to do it.

Answer by missanc at 2:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm not a fan of that kind of punishment coming from teachers and I know where I live they don't do that.
    I do agree however there has to be some kind of control for children that are out of hand. I'm not sure what that might be.
    Both of my boys were in the principals office once, and I'll tell you they will never do it again. I didn't have to punish them they were already upset for simply disappointing me. A trip to the office was all my boys needed to straighten up, unfortunately that just doesn't work for all kids.
    Respect starts at home, and unfortunately some people just don't understand that.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2011