How to punish?

my 7 year old does not care about any punishment we have tried just about everything nothing seems to faze her?ex.timeout,corner,spanking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Every child has something they don't want to lose- video games, a sleepover, a favorite toy, dance class, etc. You have to find out what her currency is. She must care about something. I have a co-worker who used to take 15 mintues off her kids bedtime when they didn't listen or talked back and they hated it so much. For them, that was just the worst thing in the world. Now for me, it would be waking me up 15 minutes early, but you get what I'm saying. There is a button you can push for anyone, you just might need to get creative to figure out your daughter's buttons.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• take away what she values most... use it as leverage - as her values and interests change you barganing chips also change.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Have you tried taking away a toy for a day? Also, if she is 7, she is old enough for 7 minutes alone (grounded) in her bedroom, until she is ready to come out and apologize.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Take away everything or
    Give her sentences to write, "I will not XXXXX" however many times----this would help her practice writing and punishment
    or ground her
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 2:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Is there something that really would affect her? You have to choose HER button, and none of those might be it. My son's button is his Nintendo DS.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• That is what I was thinking too...

Consistant, yes, back and fourth you are the winner and she needs to listen....

Take it away, if that does not work time out, not once but if youhave to do it all day. Say no, can I have Ice cream no but you can have an apple.
    Can I play outside no.... It is a battle 7 years of a battle don't give up. Put her in time out 20x a day if you have too. You can do it... I have my support group and working hard at it my daughter is 8 and she will learn eventually I am not playing anymore. Your child can learn too. Trust me, if not have her tested for ADHD or ADD they are compulsive and don't realize it..... or can't help it... if nothing else works.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• 123 Magic works great too
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 2:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2011