Would you continue buying online if you had to pay the same rate of state sales tax?

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/04/why-arent-more-states-pursuing-online-sales-tax/236893/

At a time when numerous states teeter on insolvency due to budgetary woes, they're ignoring a pile of money sitting right in front of them. Although most states charge a sales tax as one of their sources of revenue, few aggressively pursue sales tax from online commerce. Why aren't they more interested in cashing in on this growing method of shopping?

First, just how much money is at stake? Last year, e-commerce spending was $142 billion, according to comScore. The amount of shopping and sales tax rates both differ by state. But for simplicity, if you assume that the average state sales tax is somewhere around 5%, then that would be around $7 billion states gave up. This isn't going to solve all of their budgetary problems, but it certainly would help.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Shopping

• Yes, if they offer free shipping & I can get it for less or equal to what a local store charges for the item. Saves me money on gas & time.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Some places I order online from do charge me sales tax and I still order from them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I tend to buy things online-that you jsut can't go to a random store and get...I buy off ebay a lot and yes I would pay the tax
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't think it would change my online shopping habits. Most of the shopping I do online (and I do most of my shopping online) is because I can find a better selection, and I don't have to worry about something being out of stock. Today I ordered 6 pairs of jean shorts for my son online. I doubt the local store would carry 6 all in the same size, and I don't want to waste my time going there just to find out that they're out of them. If I can save myself time and hassle and find things that aren't sold locally, it would not matter to me if sales tax was added on.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I'm pretty certain that Texas charges online sales tax. I know there's a big controversy with Amazon.com not wanting to pay the state the back taxes they owe for online transactions. I don't know the details, but I think amazon was considering cancelling future sales to TX.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Yes, I hate going out shopping. I buy everything I can online. I just got finished ordering new curtains for my family room online. I was able to go through my credit card "shopping mall" for 5% cashback, plus use a promo code for 10% off. I did have to pay sales tax, but I also made sure that I can return the window treatments to the store instead of having to ship them back if they don't work out. Makes me a happy camper.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2011