At what age do you think children should have the right to decide not to see a parent? adult content

At what age do you think is reasonable for a child to decide they don't want to go to visitations with a non custodial parent?

ashleypalomba

Asked by ashleypalomba at 2:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• If it is due to mistreatment . . . any age. If it is just preference . .. . not until they are an adult. Teenagers will often "choose" the parent who lets them get away with the most, so you can't base it on preference.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• In Georgia, a child is not legally allowed to choose until they are 14. Unless it is for some kind of abuse or bad enviroment.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 2:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• What if the child doesn't want to go kicks, screams, vomits, and gets bloody noses when they have to go for visitation?
    ashleypalomba

Comment by ashleypalomba (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I agree, mistreated they should be able not to see them...

If it is a teen just wanting to get awa with stuff then the don't have a right, they are still a teen..
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Something not right, either they are being mistreated or they are playing a role with you to feel bad....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I honestly think 18 if there is no abuse or neglect. What if they wanted to stop seeing their custodial parent at 144 that wouldnt fly. Kids do need their parents both of them if it is at all possible.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• My husband received custody of his daughter last July after not being able to locate her for almost 5 years. Her mother kidnapped her and during that time, she was physically, mentally and sexually abused. She lives with us now, does well in school, is in therapy (and will be for years) but does have some slight behavioral issues due to her trauma. So I think that a child should be able to decide for themselves at whatever age they can realistically speak up. But, if you know your child is just playing one parent against another, don't play the game.

XoXo
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• If my son were to cry or didn't want to go with his biologial, then there is still nothing that I can do, unless the biological says, "Okay, nevermind cause he doens't want to".
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 3:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• if the parent has wronged the child - as soon as the child can speak to say it.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• It's so difficult to put an age on it because every situation is different and every kid is different. I would say around 12 or 13. When I was 14, I chose to move out of my mother's house into my father's house. I really wish I had been able to go sooner. It wasn't an abuse situation, but I know my life would have been very different if I had been forced to stay with my mother. It's much better that we not have any contact at all.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2011