Is this a bad idea?

My brother and sister-in-law mentioned me watching their two boys. One of my nephews is one and a half and the other is 5 months. I would watch them AND my 5 month old daughter from 6:30am-3:00. Im nervous that it will be too much between the two babies and the one and a half year old.

I would be a stay at home mom for the kids and they would pay me 400 a month

Do you think this will be too hard having the two babies and almost 2 year old??

Mommy103110

Asked by Mommy103110 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• It is almost ALWAYS difficult doing business with family.
    Anonymous

• I say do it! You think it will be hard now, but once you actually do it, it will seem much easier.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 2:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• $400 a month is peanuts, ask for more and then do it.

Answer by older at 2:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I would let them know I am willing to see how it works out but I want to be honest. I am a littl nervous about having to tend to all of them at the same time. I would baby sit for them on the weekend or something see if your ok with it....

Say it is not guaranteed but I am willing to give it a shot.... If they don't understand. Owell, keep it movin....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I don't think in general, it will be too much to handle. There WILL be days that your patience will be tested, but that's true for everyone. I think you should give it a shot; the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work out. My 4 1/2 month old daughter loves cartoons already (I think it's the colors, movements and sound of it all) as well as Baby Einstein dvds. They will occupy her for hours! Try those if things start to get hairy. Also, I don't think 400 dollars a month is enough money. I know people who babysit and DSS (dept of social services) pays them 400 a month PER kid. Don't let them jip you! Good luck!

XoXo
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• kids are always a handful but it might also be good for them to have that interaction with each other. you could always give it a trial run to see how it works out.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• i guess it depends on you and your ability to handle all those kids. my mom used to have a home day care thing on base. she could watch like 4 infants and 2 or 3 toddlers successfully. she's really organized. i don't even know if that's allowed now. haha! but i definitely couldn't handle it. i don't have the attention span or the organizational ability.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 2:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• That is ALOT!!!! Oh my! You will really be working.

Honestly, I think 400 a week is more appropriate. 400 a month is REALLY taking advantage of you, in my opinion.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• First off I think you should ask for a trial period. Try it for a week or two to see if you can handle it. The first few days may be a challenge and then you might get into a good routine. Or the first few days may be easy but by the end of the week you are ready to cry and run away to Bermuda. Also, I think you should call around and see what daycares would charge and then decide on a fair price. $400 a month for two kids seems really low, and while a family discount may be ok with you, you still deserve to be fairly compensated. Also I would recommend being clear ahead of time about what happens if your nephews are sick- you may be expected to still take them but that could get your baby sick, or yourself, and caring for a sick kid or kids is a whole other ball game. It could really work out though if you feel you are treated well by them, and what close cousins they would all be. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Tell them you accept for the month but until you experience what you're up to, you'll let them know if you all can modify the contract.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 3:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2011