what do you consider comfortable?

How much is average to save a week (even for people who really cant) how much do u spend on food shopping? I dont get it how some of these moms can get away with 150.oo a week? Dont get me wrong i am envious,,,,How many times a month do you eat out? I mean you have to get sick of cooking???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• I spend $150 on groceries every 2 weeks for a family of 4. (well 3 now since dh and I are seperated) I have $50 every 2 weeks deposited into my savings account and sometimes I'll manually put in more if i have extra.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• We only eat out about 6 times a year; we're dealing with specialized diets so it's easier, cheaper, and safer to eat at home.

Our monthly grocery bill is slightly higher than our mortgage (our mortgage is quite manageable but I do find it odd that our groceries are more, but we have teens in the house so I guess it's no surprise).

I think groceries is one of the easier areas to cut back in, but during those times when we spend a bit more than usual, we cut back in other areas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I have 5 kids and spend about $175 a week for food and yes we eat out atleast once a week. I do get sick of cooking which is why about once a week we do $5 pizzas and thats a special treat because I cant really afford to do anything else after buying groceries. As for how we do it, well once you get to a point where you have 5 kids it kinda builds on you. I am used to having to spend this amount of money because it isnt as if I woke up one day with 5 kids and something changed. I started with 1 kid like everyone else. I also have 2 teen boys and I swear they can eat more then my husband!

Answer by gemgem at 9:03 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I have a family of 5 and we spend about 130-150 a week. Once in a while it might be around 170. But here is the kicker: We really do not eat out except maybe Sonic once in a while. We used to eat out a lot until we realized every place we went to, the food really wasn't that great and we were totally just wasting money. My husband loves to cook and he can make a fancy meal at home for what we would spend eating out and we have leftovers. Hubby works nights a lot so I really buy mostly for me and my 3 kids. We do a lot of simple food. I cook 3 nights a week. Hubby usually cooks one night. Another night we have "clean out the fridge" night, which is leftovers and such and the other night we will have mac and cheese or kid cuisine or somethign like that.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 9:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• We never eat out (because of allergy's mostly)
    I combine gas and things like paper towels and diapers with my food shopping costs - we spend $300.00 a week easy. We eat mostly organic foods. We must eat organic because of my oldest daughter. If she eats any kind of additive she acts like she has autism. She goes from a normal 4 year old to the worst case you've ever seen. Take the chemicals out of her foods and she's perfectly normal. Her DR tells us that many many children with autism have nothing more than a reaction to their foods.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Oh and as far as saving? I wish I could. Unfortunately I have medical bills I am paying off and hubby and I combined have around 60k worth of student loans to pay back. Our rent is 1020 which is low for where we live. Hubby works 2 jobs just so we can get by okay. I am going to start trying to save 100 a month though because we absolutley have to move out of state back closer to family. His parents are very sickly and I have some family issues myself that warrant us moving closer. Besides, TX is cheaper than SC anyways.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 9:24 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• We spend $70-$100 a week for food for a family of four. The boys and I go out to lunch once a week, no more. We go out to dinner maybe once a month.

We are self-employed, so we don't have regular savings because our income goes up and down. We put $100 a month in our HSA (health savings account). Sometimes we put a lot in savings, sometimes nothing. It depends.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• We are a family of four and probably spend about150 wk on groceries. Some weeks higher , some lower. I try to use new and cheap recipies a couple times a week. We do get so sick of the same meals, and I do like to cook. Savings?? Whats that??? We are the reason for that saying "If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all" If its not a kid getting sick a car breaks down or a dog has to go to the vet or we need gas for heat. The list is endless. We are not rich by ANY means, but feel like we are always a couple paychecks from the poorhouse. I'm sure our family is very much like most out there! We do like to eat out only once in a grat while. We have a 2 yr old, and next week baby girl will be one. Its not enjoyable to wrangle them and eat a meal.
    gruuvymom

Answer by gruuvymom at 10:43 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I put 800 a pay period into savings right now. I spend 300-350 a month on groceries. I love cooking so we rarely eat out. It is my hobby so I enjoy it also love giving my family healthy meals each day. We have 5800 take home each month and our mortgage payment is 1850 a month. So we make savings a priority and live within our means. We don't buy things we don't need and when there is a want we save for it. I have 2 years worth of expenses put back. We have retirement, investments and a college fund for our son. When my husband gets his bonus or we get extra money is gets put into savings, retirement or investments. We have weathered this economic crisis very well because of this. If my husband lost his job we would be fine for a long time and with unemployment could live 3 years before having to touch investments or retirement if he was unable to find a job.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• That really is a question no one can answer but you. It all depends on your income, your area, your family, etc. Sometimes it is more convenient for working families to eat out and sometime it is to eat in. I know that, yes, it would be cheaper to buy the stuff and prepare it at home, but some women just don't have the time, especially if their families are active in sports or other extra curricular activities. When my kids were young, we did eat at home almost every night. I just made cheap meals, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, etc...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2008