How do I get them to listen?

I have a 3 year old and I babysit a 2 and 3 year old. When it is time to clean up my son usually refuses and so today I told them if they cleaned up they could have cookies. So the 3 year old started cleaning up but stopped bc he was the only one. So I cleaned up and ate cookies in front of them while they cried. I need a better solution!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Make it a game and reward them with something other than cookies, like a trip to the park or something along those lines. There is music for kids of this age that talk about picking up, they used it at a nursery I once visited, it worked for them specially because it became a routine.

Answer by older at 2:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Instead of saying clean up, ask them to pick up big bird,then move on to the nex toy. Kids at that age need 1 or 2 step instructions as opposed to open ended ones.

thecoffeefairy

Answer by thecoffeefairy at 2:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Play clean up and sing....

At that age, I would make it a game. Then eventually they will do it on their own because they are big kids... :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Tell them the first person that gets all the toys picked up wins. If they can't break let them toss the toys in the basket from a line. Or My son is old enough I don't let him continue with any other activity period unless his stuff is picked up. But as for not listening, I thought my son never listened to me but when he had his friends over he began to spit rules out that I have been telling him for months. They are listening its just more fun to not pick up.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 2:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I use to make it a game with my kids, I use to say let's see who can pick up the fastest or who can pick up more, then I would start picking up things and they would join. I use to make up songs about picking up too. They loved it.
    I'd suggest that, rather than just asking them to pick up.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• With my daughter I do one of two things. It's either "If you want to go outside/eat lunch/watch a tv show then we have to do our clean up first" as in, you don't get the fun activity you want without doing the clean up first. Or I just tell her it is time to clean up, and if she doesn't want to I tell her she can clean up or go in time out. Once she realized that she still has to clean up after the time out is over she learned it isn't worth it to put it off. The first few times I had to put her in time out and out last her being stubborn but she got the message pretty quickly that we were not moving on with things until the clean up was done.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• my son at that age would never clean unless i played a song he loved and hed make a game of it and race to get done before the song was over.. he still trys it but usually his mess is to big lol
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• Say it, mean it and follow through. The more consistent you are the more your children will believe that you mean what you say!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 1:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2011