What is that SMELL when we have someone come in the house *GAG*

We have a male collie/lab mix (8mo) that is pretty protective of his home & owners so he gets a lil' vocal & tries to stay at our side / between our guest (YET at a safe distance cuz he is a wuss himself lol)

Well the last 2 times we have had someone visit us... There is this SMELL that is aweful that he seems to let off sometimes!!!!!! Its a rotten fish/crawfish smell -- like a woman who needs to take a bath & visit her dr asap....
It has only happened 2-3x the last 2 mo, while we had company. What is going on!!! Is it something to do with him letting out a guard scent? Is it connected to him going through doggy puberty? Will getting him "fixed" help?

Ive owned a few dogs in my life.. Female & Make ... and Ive never ever ever smelled anything like this (except the one time my beagle decided to chase a skunk)

I dont want anyone thinking that is me they are smelling! HAHA its rotten! And not that musty smell a dog can get from being outside in heat or anything. This is rotten fish!

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2011 in Pets

• It is the anal glands... hopefully he wont start dragging his rear on the carpet, they do that when the glands are impacted... yes you are right it is seriously the worst smell on earth... The glands when working correctly are suppose to express themselves naturally when they pass stool.. It is so gross when they get impacted and you have to help them out... it makes you want to throw up... I had a dog in the past that the vet showed me how to do it at home. ewwwwhhh!!!
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 3:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• He is letting off "juice" from his anal glands. My mother's dog used to do this all the time, whenever he got scared. I just know that he eventually grew out of it. BTW...he usually did it in the car...eww.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• I agree with the anal gland thing. My dog did this when she felt threatened or scared, as well, however, she didn't grow out of it. lol.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• oh my i could NOT imagine being trapped in a car with that smell.. LOL..
    thankfully he hasnt really done it in the car, he got over his fear of riding when we started taking him to the park alot. now if he gets out he actually will get in one of our cars if the door is open..
    MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2011

• well you have to clean so it wont smell bad and put plugins also from marivel718@yahoo.com
    marivel718

Answer by marivel718 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2011