Did you know that the original "Little Mermaid" fairytale had a SAD ending??

My husband has a book with all kinds of old fairytales and stories. I read through them and was shocked to see most of them were sad!!! In the little mermaid the prince married the other girl!

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 7:07 AM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Just for Fun

• LOL! That's absolutely hilarious. I had such an urge to shout for my husband then, but he's still asleep and I guess that would be cruel! Hmm how about sharing it with my 8 yr old.. ooh I could use it to teach him about puberty.. On second thoughts maybe I should just wait for hubby to wake up..
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 7:26 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My goodness yes, I love it, and she mermaids don't have human souls so cannot live eternally, but she could gain a human soul if she found a number of good people for it took a year off her sentence? Or am I thinking of this completely wrong? I used to be obsessed with it, it was my favourite fairytale, I thought it was so much better than the disney version, but then again I'm a bit of a morbid person and always have been..
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 7:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I'm a bit morbid too but I sure am glad disney changed it up!!! The book bambi was sad too. The one I read was that she had to get him to say he loved her but he got married. Then the sea witch sent the little mermaid to kill him and when she was going to stab him in the heart he said her name and knowing that he DID love her, she turned into sea bubbles or something like that. It made me cry. Let me know if you can find where I can read the one you're talking about though!!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Yeah that's the same version as the one I read, where she had to stab the prince and then died and turned to foam, but then after that (look at the bottom of this page):
    http://hca.gilead.org.il/li_merma.html

Haha, I have to say I do love the disney version..
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 7:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Lol have you seen the clip of the pastor at the end of the movie getting a boner??? I LOVED that movie and Beauty and the Beast.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• No I haven't!! My goodness now I want to see! Ah beauty and the beast is amazing, I've seen it at the theatre when I went to visit relatives in England and it was amazing.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 7:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Go here and tell me after you watch it. LOLOLOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpeB1aINj54
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:23 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Yeah it's SICK. Nasty little old man... *shudders*
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:33 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Thing is I wonder what he was getting it at..
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 7:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• They must have cut that part out. LOL or he found some poor unsuspecting seal during the boat riot.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:46 AM on Nov. 30, 2008